Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Grate???

BOWHUNR
BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I stopped at my dealer last night to price out another large and there was a guy in there telling me about the Turbo Grate and how it improves air flow and performance. I looked it up on the BBQ Guru website and it looks like a $50.00 wind chime to me. I just don't buy it. So is thing thing for real, or just another gimmick??

Mike
Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I think they DO NOT WORK and gave mine to Kent (Grandpas Grub).
    You will get both sides of it as some like them.
    I would advise to save the money.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    when they first came out every one was posting about getting one, since then you see one post a year, so.....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EggerFromIowa
    EggerFromIowa Posts: 181
    Definitely not worth $50. I got mine free when I bought my used egg. Worth every penny. :laugh:
  • davehemp
    davehemp Posts: 109
    It's usually split pretty even when this comes up...I have one and use it - I think it IS overpriced, but I will say I feel it helps airflow...I also feel you can accomplish this through other means(different sorts of things used for grates whose original purpose was something else)that work just as well for a fraction of the cost...there are plenty of examples in posts here about grates.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Thanks to Mickey, I have been using a TG in my large for about a year now.

You will get a lot of different points of view on the TG. Some eggr's love their TG's.

I don't see any way to quantify the following but here are some thoughts.

It feels like I use more lump, however, due to the size and shape of the TG I wonder if less lump fits in the fire box due to the TG.

I believe it does improve air flow as there are more air gaps in the lump bed. Those air gaps allow a quicker light and a faster time to high temperatures.

Larger pieces of lump fall down into bottom of the fire box.

Cleaning the ash our of the lump is much easier as it takes a 'shake' of the TG. When I had the fire grate in the egg I had to do a lot more stirring and glove up to get that ash down through the fire grate. I either removed the remaining lump to put some large pieces to cover the original fire grate then re-load that old lump over those larger pieces and finally add more new lump as needed. With the TG I shake and pour in more lump and light.

Since getting the TG I have not had to use a wiggle rod and I very seldom if ever get a temperature stall when lighting.

Is it worth the bucks... I am somewhat neutral. What I will do is remove the TG from the large and go back to the original fire grate. After a few cooks I should have a better idea.

However, I would get other accessories before buying the TG.

GG
  • NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    I have been using a TG for about 2.5 years now & I agree with pretty much everything that GG had to say.

Never have to use a wiggle rod, don't have to meticulously load charcoal (just dump straight in from the bag and go), etc.

In the grand scheme of the cost of the egg and egg-cessories... what's another $50, right?

No thoughts on improved performance, etc.... just easier startup, cleanup, and reloading.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Air flow is better and it is easier to knock the ash out with a turbo grate. As for burning more charcoal? I'm sure many will debate this but I can't see how you can burn more charcoal and maintain the same temperature as opposed to not using the turbo grate. Charcoal burning faster has to throw more BTU's then slower burning charcoal.

Also after reading GG's post I agree with everything he wrote.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I am curious about how you actually get the ash out the bottom of the Egg when using a TG.

With a standard grate, you just stick in the ash tool and scoop it out, but the TG sits down on the bottom, so you cannot reach in. If you take out the TG the unburned lump falls to the bottom and has to be "managed".

What am I missing here?
  • davehemp
    davehemp Posts: 109
    It doesn't go all the way to the bottom. the 2 l-shaped pieces on the bottom hold it raised up in the hole at the bottom of the fire box.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Same as without the TG.

GG
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    I have a Turbo Grate and love it. I was having problems with airflow, starting fires, keeping fires going, regulating temp, etc., etc.. So much so I was starting to regret trading my Weber WSM for an Egg :ohmy:
    Bought the TG and all that changed. Is it pricy? Sure, but so is the Egg. Do I use a little more lump? Perhaps, but the key is I USE lump. I'm not hesitant to fire up the Egg and use it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Bob,

I had one and really liked it. It fell apart after a few years. When you lift it out it takes a lot of ash with it. I didn't get as much ash in the bottom as without it. What was left, I just vacuumed out.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BBQR
    BBQR Posts: 68
    Generally, this is for long 12-20 hr cooks, where over time, ash falls to the bottom of yor pit and reduces or clogs airflow in your egg's normal grate holes. You don't need this for cooking a chicken or burgers. Anyone who has done an overnight cook and wakes up to a 160 dome temp, understands why you would want this.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2015
    BBQR said:

Generally, this is for long 12-20 hr cooks, where over time, ash falls to the bottom of yor pit and reduces or clogs airflow in your egg's normal grate holes. You don't need this for cooking a chicken or burgers. Anyone who has done an overnight cook and wakes up to a 160 dome temp, understands why you would want this.

In the 4 years since this thread started there are better option available. #1 in my eyes is the High Que grate. Doesn't take up room and improved airflow. I have not had to clear "holes" with a wiggle rod in 2+ years since I bought mine and I have not had a fire got out in my 5 years of egging.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs said:

BBQR said:

In the 4 years since this thread started there are better option available. #1 in my eyes is the High Que grate. Doesn't take up room and improved airflow. I have not had to clear "holes" with a wiggle rod in 2+ years since I bought mine and I have not had a fire got out in my 5 years of egging.
    Agreed..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited February 2015
  • I would wait for the KICK ASH GRATE to come out.  Either that, or buy Mangrates!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have 4 Eggs and have 4 High Que's. Have sold 2 Eggs and both were sold with a High Que.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I had to search turbo grate to see what this looked like.
    Looks silly to me.

I have the high que in the mini and one that stl charcoal was selling in my large.
    Seattle, WA
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    For us newbies, has anyone modified the original cast grate by drilling out the holes a tad? Does it help? One concern is how much material you can remove before it gets too weak...
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    High Cue is definitely a great way to go.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Chowman said:

For us newbies, has anyone modified the original cast grate by drilling out the holes a tad? Does it help? One concern is how much material you can remove before it gets too weak...

Yes @SamFerrise has done this. The stock grate will fail if you use it a lot anyway-- mine looked like a Pringle after a year. Might as well pull the trigger on a High Que and get to cooking
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013