Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ 2 Thermometer System

Options
brenkj
brenkj Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a BGE newbie (one cook so far), and I plan to use my Egg mainly for BBQ (brisket, ribs, pork butt). I read online about the BBQ Guru DigiQ 2 digital thermometer/fan system and I'm pretty intrigued. Who has experience with this product and would you recommend it for long, low-temp cooks like the ones I plan to do?

Thanks.

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    The DigiQ2 is now the DigiQDX. I have a DX and have been very pleased with it. For controlling a single BGE it is the unit to have IMO. You can find them as a package here.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/DigiQ-DX--(Build-your-package).html

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. This question is asked a lot. Last Tuesday there was a similar questions which received some good responses.

Not sure what accessories you have at this point in time but any powered vent system (DigiQ2 and other systems) would not be my first choice of accessories. There are accessories that will be used on just about every single cook as well as cooking off the egg.

Here is a link to a response in that post. Take a minute and read the original post and the resulting responses. Here is the link. http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1087282&catid=1

GG
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    I have the DigiQ2 and use it on every cook, for all temperature ranges (4-5 times per week). Would not be without it. It prevents a lot of mistakes. I have the 10CFM fan for my LBGE. B)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You might wish to visit my product reviews page and read the reviews of all the various BBQ Guru products and the Stoker and Auber products. They all work great. The only difference is the features and how you wish to use it. For a single cooker solution, I prefer the BBQ Guru DigiQ because it is easier to use that the Stoker and better built than the Auber. If you want to do remote/internet monitoring and/or control more than one cooker at a time, then take a look at the Stoker. Good luck!

Product Reviews and Feature Comparisons
    The Naked Whiz
  • Snickers
    Snickers Posts: 50
    Options
    I have it . Love it. The only problem, the display is cheap. The words on the screen is hard to read.

It reminds me of th 1980's digital read out screens.

The fan works great, but they cut corners on the screen.
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    Snickers wrote:
    I have it . Love it. The only problem, the display is cheap. The words on the screen is hard to read.

It reminds me of th 1980's digital read out screens.

The fan works great, but they cut corners on the screen.

Wouldn't it be nice if they made one with a 27" LCD display instead?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

One of the strong points of the q2 is the display. Much brighter and easier to read in daylight.

Some other thoughts, the q2 has a smaller footprint which is nice.

Easier to use than the Stoker, I guess that is a matter of opinion. If I am cooking the same food there is no difference between the Stoker & q2 - plug it in connect the cables and cook.

If one is cooking a different meat then the setup is different but not harder from one unit to the other. You are pushing buttons on both units to change the pit and food temperatures from the last cook.

I use and like both units if I were to only get 1 the choice would be the Stoker due to the expandability and advanced features available.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

There are temperature limits on both the DigiQ and the Stoker. There is potential for damage to probes on both units and both units will read over-limit on the readouts if high temperature is exceeded.

I use the Stoker or DigiQ when I don't want to be bothered with monitoring the cook or if the cook will be a long cook.

It must be said the Egg's do not need any type of powered vent system. Having something like a $50 Maverick dual thermometer is a great accessory for remote monitoring and alarms of the pit and food temperatures.

GG
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Use mine for long cooks when I plan to be away from the cooker (or asleep). Works well. Would NOT be the first accessory I'd buy. Master temp control WITHOUT the DigiQ 1st.