Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fajitas on the EGG - 1st Time

EggerFromIowaEggerFromIowa Posts: 181
edited 4:34AM in EggHead Forum
Decided to egg some skirt steak for fajitas last night.

First time trying this out. Before checking for recipes, I took the steak out the night before, rubbed fajita mix (McCormick), rubbed it on both sides, with a little Worcestershire sauce, wrapped in plastic , placed in zip lock bag and then placed in the fridge.

Then I read the forum the next day. Saw where many marinated their steaks. At that point I was nervous that I may have done a bad thing.

Decided to go ahead with the plan, got the egg up to 400 degrees.

Started the cook. 4 minutes, then flip, 3 minutes then flip, 3 minutes then flip, 3 minutes taken off.

Let it rest with tented aluminum foil for about 5 - 8 minutes. Proceeded to slice across the grain. Done to perfection, tasted even better. Thought it turned out very well, very tender and no complaints.

First Turn
IMG00144-20110511-1720.jpg

Resting
IMG00145-20110511-1727.jpg

Sliced
IMG00146-20110511-1736.jpg

Sliced 2
IMG00148-20110511-1739.jpg

The little one's plate
IMG00147-20110511-1738.jpg

Seeing double
IMG00149-20110511-1744.jpg

Thanks for looking.
·

Comments

• wallyjarwallyjar Posts: 123
    Great job. On my list to do . You gave me great inspiration
    ·
  • beesbees Posts: 335
    Nice pics, looks good enough to eat it all in one sitting.Happy cooking.Randy
    ·
  • EggerFromIowaEggerFromIowa Posts: 181
    Thanks. Definitely try it out, it's worth it.
    ·
    Thanks. We're a family of 5, and there wasn't much left. I'm sure when the kids get older, I'll be cooking 2 of them. The steaks, not the kids. :laugh:
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    Fajitas on the Egg are one of my all time favorite meals and we make them often.

Yours look great, Craig. I especially like your choice of veggies. I bet you make a bunch of these this summer, fajitas rock on warm summer evenings with a cool adult beverage!

While I have several very good fajita marinades that I like, I have used the McCormicks in the past and it is a good prepackaged product.

Here's my favorite recipe for a steak fajita marinade: http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/04/steak-fajitas.html
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
    Thanks Chris. I'll definitely be trying more this summer. I will have to marinade the next one, gotta try new ways for the egg.

Love your blog BTW. Looks like you know what you are doing. :)
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,198
    Thanks for posting the recipe/technique, added to the list. That looks much juicier than the skirt steak I'd do on my old gas Weber.

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·