Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Care Package from the Egg #2

Options
Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,972
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A bunch of my friends are on the rotation to bring dinner for my sick friend and her family.

The teenage son really enjoyed the steak I brought last time and the the dad told me he loved the asparagus, so that's what I made for them on the egg.

First on was the asparagus, coated with EVOO, S & P, pretty smokey from the oil- never mind, I tried posting the pic, it was too smokey looking.

Krinkle cut sweet potatoe fries, dipped in some butta and sprinkled with DP Pineapple Head:

P5114082.jpg\\

Then some marinated boneless chicken thighs:

P5114083.jpg

For the steak, 3 1 lb. New York strips, each rubbed with a different rub:

P5114084.jpg

Steak and chicken packed up for the car ride:

P5114088.jpg

Some shaved parmesan cheese on top of the asparagus:

P5114089.jpg

I also brought some roasted garlic and tomato spread from Mainegg's recipe:

P5114085.jpg

And for my friend that is having Chemotherapy, I made a homemade cheddar cheese soup with fresh broccoli. I thought it would be very comforting to her maybe with some saltines. Not a pretty pic, but this stuff is GOOD. Believe it or not, it is actually quite healthy for her, I used skim milk instead of heavy cream and half and half.

P5114087.jpg

My car smelled awesome on the drive over and back!

Thanks for lookin.
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I bow to you for your acts of kindness Faith!!!!
    It all looks delish!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Nice looking cook for the family. Hope your friend is tolerating chemo treatments. The broccoli cheese soup looks yummy can you post the recipe? :)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thank you, Molly. We all need to help out from time to time. Little stuff like this does make a difference to people that are going through a difficult time.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    We all need help from time to time also. great to pass it on! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Joan, here is the soup recipe. I used skim milk only and added fresh steamed broccoli at the end. I cut back on the cayenne pepper for her, but for me, I love the kick of it. I hope you give it a try.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cheddar-cheese-soup-recipe/index.html

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    God bless you, Faith! You're an inspiration to all of us!
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Faith - what a wonderful thing to do for your friend. I know that she and her family appreciate this more than you can imagine....and I know that you will be blessed for all that you are doing to help them at this time. You are cooking "the good stuff" - a very kind thing for sure. Would you mind sharing the soup recipe - it looks like perfect comfort food! :)
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    Very nice work Faith, how kind and thoughtfull. I do wish that I was able to do so much with helping others, but yet I am doing what I can.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thanks, Egret, I am sure you and Joan would do the same thing for a friend.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Elzbth, see the soup recipe in my response to Joan, Austin Egghead, above. And thank you for the kind words.

• Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    You done good ;) again :):)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Faith, Good for you! Everything looks amazing, and I am sure they are greatful to have an Egghead and loyal friend!! The soup looks perfectly amazing! My mouth is watering... :)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Wonderful Faith, my previous wife fought cancer for three years before it took her and I know what support from friends means. You are just super! :) :cheer:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Wonderful thing you are doing and a wonderful meal as well.

I have a lawn mowing customer wife that just went through very invasive surgery... :( Soon she will have to go through chemo. Two years ago she had different body parts that were removed and chemo...my heart goes out to all these people.

Blessing to all involved. :ermm:
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    You are beautiful, simply beautiful.

Bless you.

Best Regards,
    Doug the Bug
  • smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    Options
    I'll second that sentiment.

This earth needs more people like you!

Thank you for being you!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thank you, Susan. I know you would do it, too.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    LC, remind me to make this soup for you the next time I see you. I think you should be eating this once a week, at least!

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Capt. Frank, it takes a village, you know? I know you felt the love while your wife was sick.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thank you, Tim 2fategghead, for the kind words to all who are suffering from cancer.

Try the soup sometime, you will really like it. Especially when it's cold up there!

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Only if you promise to use the heavy cream and half-n-half!!! :laugh: :whistle: Oh, and lots of real buttah! :blush: Truly, I hope your friend is doing well, and gets better soon. Nice of you to be so supportive.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    LC, for you, I would use the thick, heavy, artery hardening stuff....if that's what you like. And I did use real butta!

My friend still has 3 more Chemo treatments to go. These dinners brought over 3 times a week is a group effort, for sure.

Thanks for the kind words.

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    What you are doing is giving life. You are doing what people talk about doing. All it takes is a little kindness and you are putting smiles on people faces as well as delicious food.

There is a saying in Judaism, "When you save a life, you save the World".

To that I say Thank you.

Gary
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    TOO Sweet! Kudos to you. :) Prayers and well wishes to your friend and the family.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    well done, Florida Grillin Goddess ;)

comforting support system your friend has :)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Some great food from an amazing friend
    Very nice Faith :)

Shane
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I'm sure the food was much appreciated but I bet your friendship is a 1000 times more. A good friend of mine has had chemo twice. Cancer free now but was really hard for him to eat with the chemo. Hope the soup hits the spot. ;)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Bless you, Faith. That was truely a wonderful thing you did for them. Hope your friend recovers soon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Options
    Any chance of posting that tomato garlic spread recipe?

What do you use it on?
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Use it on crackers, or french bread rounds, it's a great appetizer. Here ya go:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1073097&catid=1