Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tel Tru Thermometer

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Tel Tru Thermometer that I ordered came in today.
I noticed the stem is 5" long. Isn't that rather long?
It's much longer than the original BGE thermometer.
I have an XL.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I put the metal spring steel piece on the out side of the Egg as a spacer.
    This will also stop it from bending if you hit a pork butt as you close the dome.
    Now it will just slide out of the dome.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I use a chunk of a wine cork, outside the dome. Just make sure the groove in the stem is inside the dome. The spring clip is long gone.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EGGARY
    Options
    Why not make a tube-like spacer, 1-2 inches. Put the stem through the spacer. This way the clip can be used inside the EGG.
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    Options
    I just drilled a hole through a wine cork.

a8e418ff.jpg
  • EGGARY
    Options
    Can the stem be cut shorter ?
  • Grillin Guy
    Grillin Guy Posts: 302
    Options
    And the first thing I do with every egg is throw away the spring clip. It just makes the thermometer hard to get out.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No.

Contact Tel-Tru. Maybe they have a shorter stem model. Otherwise, just deal with it like the rest of us. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I ordered the same one and just didn't care for the length. I know that's being picky. I just purchased the new BGE Tel Tru. I thinks it's 3 1/2".
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I cook high in the dome and now I don't have to worry about bending my thermometer stem and it was simple with no added work. I also pull my temp gauges after each use for storage. It's just one of many options.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    NO!!!

The standard BGE thermometer has a 4" stem and the new Tel Tru you just bought is 5" - unless somebody switched out and stuck you with a 2.5" meant for a smaller egg. Let's go back to 5 vs 4 - that's no big deal! Besides may I strongly suggest you take that spring clip and throw it in the trash! Gravity will keep the thermometer in the hole and that way you can easily remove it for re-calibration etc etc etc.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CrimsonEgg
    CrimsonEgg Posts: 21
    Options
    Now that is awesome.