Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks Char-Woody, doug, & the Walrus but more ????

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Why would I buy a BGE over a Weber gas? How long does it take for the coals to be ready to grill a steak, burger, or fish? Isn't gas grill cooking easier, quicker, cleaner, and just as good?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Tammy,[p]"Why would I buy a BGE over a Weber gas?" [p]Because you want something that will last a lifetime and provide you with the best of all worlds. What does gas give you?[p]
    How long does it take for the coals to be ready to grill a steak, burger, or fish?
    About 15 minutes![p] Isn't gas grill cooking easier, quicker, cleaner, and just as good?
    Quicker, yes, but cleaner?? Not in my opinion! My old gassy was really gunky inside. My BGE is for the most part self cleaning but when you do your mantenance its a labor of TLC.
    Just as Good...Never on a Sunday Morning..you been there, whats your opinion??
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• DS
    DS Posts: 15
    Tammy,
    Nope..my Gas grill stays in the Shed now...Too much trouble for me..and cooking the egg is easier and better...have fun

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Tammy,[p]If you get home at 6:30pm and have 20 min to cook diner - no, you won't like the Egg. If you want fast food - get the Webber and you'll eat like you were at McDonalds. If you want to eat like your in a Teaxs steakhouse with all the trimmings and have fun doing it - the Egg is for you. I am sure Webber has a website where you can get up to the minute help on cooking on the thing, just like here, but who wants to boil ribs first? Yuck! [p]Remember - the Egg doesn't use charcoal briquettes so you have about 1/20th the ash and you won't have to wait till they are white and then rush before they cool. I think every Egg owner has/had a gas grill too. Mine is now out behind my shed rusting - I have not even turned it on in over a year. This is the second year that I didn't have to buy new guts for it!![p]The Egg is a tool - and a tool requires time to learn it and time to use it - it just depends on how much you want to put into it. The good news is that it is easy to learn and produces a much, much, much better product than a gas grill - any gas grill.[p]Tim
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Tim M,[p]My mother asked me the other day for the name of a restaurant that I'd gone to a few times in NYC that I said had really good ribs. I couldn't even come up with a name since I've had so much better ribs from Mr Eggy over the past year that kicked the proverbial pants off any resaurant ribs I've ever had. Her question was for a recommendation for a friend. I simply told her I'd invite them over and give them the best ribs they'd ever had![p]This is not to say there are no good rib joints out there. I'm just geographically challenged in NJ. I bet Big Bob Gibson serves up some mighty good ribs at his place...[p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Char-Woody,[p]At the risk of sounding like a freak, I enjoy watching the Egg temperature climb. It's pretty cool adding a boatload of lump and putting a single weber cube under the grate and watching the temps soar in just 15 minutes.[p]Even when I used to use newspaper, I kinda felt like a woodsman building the fire strategically so it would light with just one match. Granted, I was often using the business section of the NYT, so I wasn't exactly Grizly Adams...but still...[p]Cornfed
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Tammy,[p]I bought a Webber Gas Grill at the beginning of last summer, then I discovered the BGE. I sold the gassy to a friend only three weeks later. I bought a BGE and now have two. Plain and simple, it grills with more flavor, better and is a great smoker too! I recommend you do your research. The truth will make itself clear![p]Smokey
  • Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Tammy,[p]There is really only one reason you would buy a BGE over a gas grill.[p]F L A V O R.[p]Is there any other reason to cook?[p]But, since someone is apparently time conscious, I'd say the BGE gets hot about as fast as a gas grill. Remember, even with gas, you have to let the "oven" temperature get hot and that take a few minutes.[p]But there is no way that a gas grill can ever equal the taste of a BGE. You might has well use a ribbed cast iron skillet on the stove.[p]In my humble opinion the order of cooking quality would be (1) BGE, (2) charcoal, and (3) gas grill. That is if your objective is to achieve F L A V O R.[p]Go for the EGG![p]
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    today.jpg
    <p />Tammy,[p]I've never been able to get gas grills to do this and it happens to be my favorite way of eating.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    No contest. I bought a new gas grill just before I got my medium egg. I have not turned it on since and I am going to put it up for sale this summer. Just takes up space. Yep..it cooked. But did nothing for flavor. Nothing. Nada. The only reason I used it was to keep the inside of the house cool. The Eggie has changed my whole way of cooking and eating and that is no exaggeration. It is the most forgiving cooking device I've ever been near. Incredible. When I did that prime rib on it, I almost burst into tears at the flavor...and I'm generally not a prime rib eater. My guest...a fervent 'ribbie' put his fork down after the first bite and went 'oh my lord this can't be real.' [p]Go for it, girl.