Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Granite cost

Options
jgroes
jgroes Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hey Guys,

New to the community and have recently purchased a large BGE. I'm getting ready to build a table, based of the NakedWhiz design. I'm shocked after calling a few places to price an 18x18" piece of granite in the San Diego Area. I've never had to build/price with granite so perhaps what I'm coming up with is the norm. The average price for an 18x18" piece is ranging between 110-140 USD.

Is this a normal price range? Any suggestions on how to locate a better price for granite, or other suggestions for a different material?

Cheers,
JG

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here in Melbourne FL the going rate is about $40 sq/ft.

I have a marble company nearby that lets me go thru the scrap pile and get what ever I want. Most pieces are ones that broke when they were cutting.
    I have managed to make a side table 30x60 that has granite on the top. Like a mosaic. After I had gathered the granite over a few months they cut the odd pieces to fit the top. Cost a few beers for the crew of 4 men and some ribs.

GRANITETOP.jpg
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Options
    Try looking for a restoration store near you. Habitat for Humanity runs a couple around me, and there are a number of others. I was in one the other weekend and they had smaller pieces (the size you need) of granite, marble, etc. for $5 a sq ft. Pretty reasonable.
  • rcplanefan
    rcplanefan Posts: 17
    Options
    I was just in Lowe's looking for this very thing. If you go to the "tile" section, you will find some natural stone tiles up near the front. Many are cut to 18"x18". They even had a piece that was granite - probably 1/2" thick (much thinner than a countertop). All pieces were between $2 and $10. Good luck.
  • jgroes
    jgroes Posts: 29
    Options
    Ended up looking that direction after calling all the local granite dealers here. Will probably go the tile route. Thanks.

Joe
  • purcellj
    purcellj Posts: 44
    Options
    I ordered an 18x18 and 18x24, combined for $150 (Philly).
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options
    i went to a local granite cutter/installer, they let me look through scrap file. I found the two pieces for the top cutting board and under egg. $40 finished on three edges, the back side was beveled or the sharp edge knocked off. basically i found a scrap already finished all the way around, they cut the "keeper" pieces off each end.

....look around! you will find it
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    I agree with Benny. I did the same thing. $40.00. I went to the same place that cut our bathroom granite counter top.

Look around, you should be able to find some remnants for cheap.

Ted
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    I picked up a few pieces of Granite for $0

Just go to the local granite place and pull it out of the dumpster where they toss the scraps. They will be smaller pieces but I found plenty that were at least 18" square.

I picked up a $12 granite blade for my angle grinder from ACE. You can also buy polishing kits for around $40 and you have a nice DIY project.

Most of the trashed granite was already polished on top, so you might be able to put it in a table without polishing the sides.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Nice find!

Let us know how this DIY turns out.

T