Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone tried a granite top for there table?

Options
OconeeDawg
OconeeDawg Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Considering having a granite top cut for my BGE table. My only concern is what if I decide to get a XL later I can't add it into the table!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    What if you build your table as if you already had the XL and then cut the hole for a large, if you get the xl just have the hole resized. Also do not secure the granite to the wood permanently until you decide the final plan.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    My table is a 6' and I have the granite inlaid. If I ever bought a XL I could make the hole bigger.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm?P98
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I would also add, that the area between the opening for the egg and the edge of the top itself, need to be looked at carefully. I've seen a few on here that have failed at that point. If it's inevitable because of design that you will have a narrow section of granite, I'd recommend that the fabricator reinforce that area from beneath with some steel. My fabricator will rout out a channel, before the opening is even cut, and epoxy in a length of steel. Granite is super strong stuff but breaks easy. :P

I'll be doing a 'built-in' type of ODK at my place soon and will be leaving the area in front of all the eggs open so that they can be slid out and don't have to be hoisted up and out of the thing. Oh, and if I don't have my second large by then, I'll be leaving room for it.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Kim,

That looks like a pretty tall table. I'm not so sure I'd be able to reach. :S
  • RedBag
    RedBag Posts: 72
    Options
    I’ve seen multiple beautiful granite tops posted on this sight over the years. What I have also seen posted, though not as often is follow pictures of those tops after they have cracked do to the temperature changes. I’d be curious to know how many stay intact and how many crack after at least one full year of use.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    That doesn't make it a tall table shortstop

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    No you can't, just get another table.... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Simple!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    We love our granite table.

100_1063.jpg

100_1065.jpg
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Nice looking table Mike, is that something you made or one of the tables I see at the Sunshine and Atlanta fests?
  • BoroBGE
    BoroBGE Posts: 30
    Options
    I was formerly in the countertop business and did a few tops for eggs. Granite is a very resilient material that will hold up to weather and heat. Quartz tops will fade in the sun and Corian (solid surface) will fade and crack with heat.

As far as reinforcing the granite, it depends on the width of your table. Once the granite is supported by the wooden frame of the table, it is almost impossible to break (even in the skinny parts). Installation and handling is the tricky part where things can get broken. Most fabricators put backer rods, which mentioned earlier, which are steel inserts on the bottom of the top. This helps in the weak areas (front and back of your hole).

I have not fabricated my granite top yet, but that is my plan. Let me know if you have any questions about granite.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Richard it's one that I bought.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have one.Never again.It has a Weber sittin in it now.It cracked on the front and back where the cutout for the egg/weber is.$700 top.It is still functional but in MY opinion,granite is VERY OVERATED. ;)