Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Five days off! Crawfish?

RoundTowner
RoundTowner Posts: 125
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:P Five days off, and I plan on eggin each one! Our son Weston is having his second birthday party Saturday.....plan on some chicken wings, also bout 100 lbs of crawfish! Any one ever done any crawfish on the egg??

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Never done crawfish on the egg, but I love crawfish pizza. Take you some crawfish tails, potatoes, shrimp, sausage, and corn that you boil and put them on your favorite dough with some white/alfredo sauce! My favorite pizza.
  • RoundTowner
    Might have to try that?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    oh yea - in paella, etoufee, and a few other dishes. good stuff.
  • RoundTowner
    Ok thanks.....I got a few ideas....saw some people steam em in verry little water and a good amount of orange slices, and a good dry spice?
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    I would highly recommend it. Even the non-crawfish eaters love it. I love using a very thin crust and loading it up with the toppings. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • RoundTowner
    Keep em commin !! Thanks
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    That is sacrilegious - don't geaux preppy with the bugs :blush: :S

I have had crawfish a few places in Texas and they were terrible. Boiled with salt water, then placed in a cooler and seasoning added on top.

Problem one - The tails don't pick up the seasoning
    Problem two - Because the seasoning is on the outside, you can't suck the heads. Pepper gets all over you lips and mouth (I'm not kidding)

Get some Zatarains or Texsun and season the water that you are using. I go with with 1-1/2 times their recommended amount. Get the water boiling and add potatoes and corn - boil about ten minutes, add the crawfish. Boil for three minutes after the water comes back to a boil then shut it down. Soak for 20-40 minutes (this is when the bugs pick up their flavor from the seasoning). Try one after 20 minutes - if the seasoning is fine take them off. If you want more seasoning in the bugs, soak a little longer.

Unless you have a humongous pot, I would think you are boiling multiple batches. My equipment would dictate no more than 40 pounds/batch.

Good luck with it
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Frank. Great advice - from the expert ! :)

If you haven't switched to the Zatarain's PRO BOIL - hunt some down. It is so much better than their original powder boil. Only comes in the big plastic jar, which is dark brown in color. As you said above - use more than the recommended amount. (I haven't tried the "Spicy" version, but have some in the cabinet.

Have a great south Texas day !
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I've eaten crawfish at quite a few places in Texas, and never had them cooked like Frank said. But, Corpus is a lot further away from Louisiana than Houston is.

I don't see how the egg would add anything to the cook. I would buy a turkey fryer at the sporting goods store with a propane burner and boil the mudbugs in it. Works for me.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• RoundTowner
    I live in the center of TEXAS, it's a long way from the swamp lands where you Webb foot folks live! But I have spent enough time with some of thoes "good time people" that I have the basics on cookin crawfish, never had any left over....thanks eggers!!!:)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Ronnie have you guys played at Ronnie's (Schoepfs BBQ)?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RoundTowner
    No, we haven't? But would be willing.....
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Gary,

Three places

China, Tx (just west of Beaumont on HWY 90)
    Corpus Christi - Can'te remember name - they closed down
    A guy's backyard - Thought it was the best - didn't have the heart to tell him otherwise
    Have had good crawfish other places in the great state of Texas - mostly Landry's restaurants
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Frank from Houma wrote:
    That is sacrilegious - don't geaux preppy with the bugs :blush: :S

I have had crawfish a few places in Texas and they were terrible. Boiled with salt water, then placed in a cooler and seasoning added on top.

Problem one - The tails don't pick up the seasoning
    Problem two - Because the seasoning is on the outside, you can't suck the heads. Pepper gets all over you lips and mouth (I'm not kidding)

Get some Zatarains or Texsun and season the water that you are using. I go with with 1-1/2 times their recommended amount. Get the water boiling and add potatoes and corn - boil about ten minutes, add the crawfish. Boil for three minutes after the water comes back to a boil then shut it down. Soak for 20-40 minutes (this is when the bugs pick up their flavor from the seasoning). Try one after 20 minutes - if the seasoning is fine take them off. If you want more seasoning in the bugs, soak a little longer.

Unless you have a humongous pot, I would think you are boiling multiple batches. My equipment would dictate no more than 40 pounds/batch.

Good luck with it

Zactly the way I was learned down in Metairie! Listen to the man!! :laugh: