Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quarter sawn white oak

Options
BarManBean
BarManBean Posts: 129
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I have a line on some quarter sawn white oak for building a table. Would that be good for exterior work? I know what quartersawn wood IS, but am unsure how the the process changes the properties of the wood. The guy wants 2.50 per bf to start, which i think seems pretty reasonable...

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• LPcreation
    LPcreation Posts: 13
    Options
    I think the general rule is white oak is ok, but red oak needs some sort of sealer.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Quarter sawn white oak is just as strong as any other hardwood that I've seen used around here. White oak is often used in construction of designer exterior entry doors. It is also used for boat making. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. :P
    Cover it with a few coats of quality urethane and you will love the patterns in the grain.

I can't speak to the quality of the price. Prices vary from region to region.

Best of luck, and remember to post pics. ;)

Ted
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    It will make a beautiful table that will last forever.
    The USS Constitution [Old Ironsides] is built fo white oak, and she has been around a while.
    Only problem I see is that you may need a derrick to move it! :laugh:
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Capt. Frank wrote:
    Only problem I see is that you may need a derrick to move it! :laugh:

HAHAHA! :laugh:

Yes. This is true.
  • BarManBean
    Options
    Hmmm...heavy, eh? That's one of the reasons why im leaning towards using 1x4 cedar or cypress instead of 4/4 or 5/4 oak...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not sure what difference weight makes. Where ya goin' with it? :laugh:

LOVE q-sawn white oak and have been thinking of building my table with it. At $2.50/BF, you are stealing it!!! Around here, it's $6 for 4/4 up to $10 for 8/4!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BarManBean
    Options
    Thanks for all the input folks.
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Options
    ClayQ should chime in. His excellent tables are, from what I have seen, made of qs. white oak. Good choice at a great price.