Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone Made Recipes in Adam Perry Lang\'s Two Books

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got two Adam Perry Lang books from the library: BBQ 25 and Serious Barbeque.

He has a lot of interesting techniques and procedures there. It would take a lot more time and concentration than I usually devote to recipes, so I'd like to know if anyone on this forum has ever followed recipes in either book at least close to his approach. And I'd like to know whether you think the finished product was worth it.

BBQ 25 is the smaller book and has some really good ideas I'm going to try. The other book has the recipes I'm more interested in. They're easy to follow, but some require so much attention and preparation that I want a testimonial before I bother.

Anyone?????
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Judy, Ross (Ross in Ventura) has done and posted several cooks as per Lang. All of his cooks are posted in his blog. Ross speaks highly of the recipes.

Kent
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    steaks_P1020480080910.jpg

I've made just a couple of them ;).

BBQ 25 Steaks

Brined Pork Chops

BBQ 25 Chicken

Chicken Tagine

[url=T-http://www.food-fire.com/index.php/2011/04/21/t-bones-with-butter-baste/]T-bones with Butter Baste[/url]

All have been excellent.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Dave:

The BBQ 25 book did have some very attractive and less complicated cooks in it, as well as techniques. I'm more interested in the larger book's recipes, Chicken Tagine is not in either of them. Have you tried any from Serious Barbeque?
    Judy in San Diego
  • Davekatz
    The chicken is a tagine version of Lang’s Moroccan Lamb Stew from Serious Barbecue. I think Lang uses a dutch oven.

These beef short ribs are also from SB.

I love BBQ 25. I am still deciding on SB. The recipes in SB are more complex and the book features fewer general techniques. The two dishes I have made from it have been tasty, although I should have cooked the ribs longer.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Judy - I've done a couple from SB, the only one of which I recall right now is the Crisp and Unctuous Pork Belly. It was quite good.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't even know who this guy IS. But I don't trust anyone who needs three names. ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Davekatz
    And no beer belly, but he's really good!
  • BGE Convert
    BGE Convert Posts: 127
    I have made several of his recipes. This last weekend we made the rib recipe from his 25 book. Ribs were awesome and I did not need any sauce on mine. As for the big book. I have done all of the steak recipes. My favorites are the ribeye recipe with the worcestershire and brown sugar sauce and the whole tenderloin roast. send me a PM and I will give you more details on which ones I really liked. Overall none are bad, but some are better than others. Yes the extra steps are worth it.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Thank you, Ross. Those are two easy ones and they sound like a great starting point.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I have made a dozen or so of his recipes. I liked them all, but since they are more involved than meat, rub, heat, and eat I have to be in the mood.

I would say my favorites have been the beef shank...
    DSC01520.JPG

Cider Brined Pork Chops
    DSC01357.JPG

Pork belly...
    DSC01438.JPG

Smoked Turkey
    12.JPG

Honey glazed ribs.
    5.jpg

I cooked his apricot glazed pork loin at for our local egg fest...
    4.JPG

I have also made his smoked turkey legs-- turkey legs in any form are not my favorite, spice pounded chicken-- something like that, a flank steak recipe, griddled corn cakes, smoked eggs, herb roasted potatoes, applesauce, melting garlic, and Cole slaw. Probably a few I don't recall. :) I like the recipes because they have layers of flavors. While I may alter his method on the second pass-- dredging in sauce versus basting after slicing, or obsessing over which side of a chop should be the presentation side, I have followed the recipes to begin with. I am also not convinced just how much flavor can be had from using an herb bundle to baste, but it looks cool just the same. :)
    8.JPG

I looked at BBQ 25 when it came out and it seemed to be a more random collection of techniques that were already represented in Serious Barbecue. Given that his techniques are somewhat obvious in that book I have felt free to mix and match as needed and didnt purchase BBQ 25.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com