Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Creating your own Rubs

jbenny
jbenny Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After my last smoke I've decided that it is now time to start making my own rubs. Everything that I have read says to start with salt, sugar and pepper and then add from there. Just wanted to get some tips from those that already make their own rubs.

Comments

• walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    I would recommend using turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw on your grocery shelf)...it burns at a much higher temp than regular sugar or brown sugar.

I often use Dizzy Pigs rubs, but add a little of this and that for my own signature and taste.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Go light on the salt at first...remember you can always add but never subtract... :)
  • jbenny
    I learned that the hard way trying to do beef ribs.
  • Vanzo
    Vanzo Posts: 125
    I made my own before I discovered DIZZY PIG. Then I figured what the heck, let DP do all the work!! They are mighty good and like someone said down below me, you can add a little of this and that to fit your taste.
  • Alton Brown and Steve Reichland (spelling) of BBQ University fame are great places to start.
    I keep my rubs pretty simple - turbinado sugar, brown sugar (light and dark), salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, cumin, onion powder and any drops of sweat or beer slobber that hits the bowl while I am making said rub.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hahahaha, Ditto for the HEAT! :evil:

Been there, done that! :blink:

Blair

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Awhile ago I averaged out over 80 rub recipes found on the web. Here's what I found was most common.

The single most often listed ingredient is black pepper, which is present in 76/84 recipes. It is closely followed by salt, which is present in 74 recipes. Followed by paprika, at 68. It is followed by some sort of sugar, which is in 65 recipes. However, the volume of sugar in a recipe is far greater than, with an average of 27% of the recipe by volume.

Other common ingredients are garlic powder, cayenne or other hot pepper, onion powder, pre-mixed chili powder, cumin, mustard powder & thyme. There were about 35 other ingredients that would show up, including cocoa and/or chocolate in a few recipes.

I don't have the "average" recipe with me, but I made some up. The sugar and paprika flavor was quite strong, and there was a lot more black pepper than when I mixed to my own taste.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I started by searching the web for dry rub recipes to see what others were doing. I collected many recipes that sounded interesting and when I thought I had enough of them I selected out those ingredients that sounded good to me. When I had a basic rub that my family, friends and I all liked I then started to experiment with additions that would make it unique and truly my own. Developing a basic rub is not hard, developing a truly unique rub your proud to put your brand on takes experimenting, testing and time. ;)

Blair

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    If you don't have one get a kitchen scale. That way you can jot down the weights of the spices.

It is easier to weigh the stuff than to use measuring spoons.

You will find that fresh ingredients will make an lot of difference.
  • A scale is a great idea, esp if you're mixing in bulk. Finding a good source for fresh spices is equally important; your homemade rub is only as fresh as the individual components. It can be cheaper to buy your favorite premade rubs rather than to purchase the individual ingredients, unless you're shopping at an ethnic grocery or spice store that sells in bulk.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Thanks for sharing your findings, much appreciated. To the list I have noticed small amounts of cinnamon.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Go to Food Network and search for rubs and Alton Brown. Alton had a show that taked about making rubs. What I fond interesting is Alton has some 'basic' spices and then explained how to add and in what quantity in order to make 'your own' rub.

He explained a ratio when adding spices. If I can locate the ratio or the link to the show I will jump back in and post that information.

GG
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Here's an interesting note. I came across something Harold McGee wrote mentioning that he is working on some of his own sauces, and he is adding the flavors found in smoke, namely cinnamon, clove, and vanilla. "Modernist Cuisine" mentions that the same flavor components are in smoke generated around 700 degrees F that are in vanilla and cloves. The vanilla seems very strange, but I think I'll try moping a little on next slab I do.
  • Grandpas Grub

That is interesting. Make sure you post the results of the cook. If I don't happen to respond please shoot me an email, I think the results will be interesting.

I have also seen coco used in a few seasonings also. When I see a mix with 20 or so ingredients I usually don't use them, I am not sure if that many flavors really adding a lot.

GG
  • jbenny
    thanks for all the different ideas. I've been doing a lot of research right now it what spices bring out the different flavors of the meat. Love the scale idea, I plan on starting to work on it this weekend.
  • shubydoobydo
    shubydoobydo Posts: 115
    Do you have the "average" recipe on a file at home? Would you be willing to email it to me? I find that very interesting! I am also going to look up that alton brown show!
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Because I have dietary restrictions and these restrictions make it very difficult to find prepared foods (of any kind) that play nicely for me, I've been making my own rubs from the start. OK, not so long (Sep 2010) ....

Anyway, I've found a good resource in "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue: Barbecue Your Way to Greatness with 575 Lip-Smackin' Recipes from the Baron of Barbecue" (one source - http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Kirks-Championship-Barbecue-Lip-Smackin/dp/1558322426/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305107299&sr=8-1)

Among the many recipies in this book, there's oneI've used, almost exclusively, for port - on page 124 - that you might find interesting (from memory, so I don't have the exact proportions)

Sugar
    Black Pepper
    Dry Mustard
    Paprika
    Seasoning Salt (like Lawry's Seasoning Salt)
    Chili Powder

The recipe also calls for

Onion Salt
    Celery Salt

and for these I substitute some salt and very finely ground (almost powdered)

Dried chopped Onion
    Celery Seed

There's a different one I used for most things beef that works quite well - I don't do beef very often so I don't have it memorized.

I just found a copy-cat recipe for Lawry's and I think that will encourage me to modify the above just a little bit :)
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Here is my recipe for a rub I like to make a couple of times per year. Gives ribs and brisket great flavor and I find starting with fresh vegetables a better way to go then powder spices. I never put sugar in my rub because I use it on a lot of different types of meet. When I do some ribs I always add dark brown sugar on top of the rubbed meat to give it some sweetness.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1028932&catid=1

MP
  • shubydoobydo
    shubydoobydo Posts: 115
    How was the vanilla and cloves? Hve you tried it yet? Sounds very interesting.

Also GG did you find that ratio yet? Is it the same kind of ratios found in chris lillys book?