Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Question

Options
Snickers
Snickers Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am smoking a 9.5 lb butt @250 w/bone.

How many hours should I allow for the 190* temp ?

Thanks !

Comments

• eggzlot
    eggzlot Posts: 93
    Options
    if dome is 250, it should be about 1.5-2hrs per pound.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Snickers,
    I just did two shoulders last night. I don't know how big they were but they were the biggest Costco had so I am guessing close to nine pounds. I put them on just after 11pm and took them off @ 200° just after 8am. Dome ran 260° all night. I have a cheapy $13 remote thermometer from Wal-Mart in its second season and it has never let me down. Temp is always the better gauge over time. To get pork that is easy to pull you might consider 195°.
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    All butts are different and plateau times vary. My guess is about 12-14 hours at 250. 250 degrees would be the high end of "smoking", which is perfectly fine, but IMO will cook your butt faster than the 1.5-2 hr/lb commonly accepted standard.
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    I agree with 'Q and would take it to 195 - 198 or even 200.
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    Options
    I did an 8.8 and pulled at 198 and it took 15 hrs which is the shortest cook time for a butt. I have a theory that the thicker the cap the longer per pound.

Side note, you can buy natural pork shoulder at central market for 10 cents more than HEB. That's a heck of a deal.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Snickers, didn't we talk about that a while back... :)

Some buts will cook faster and some slower. Most will figure 1.5 hrs per pound plus or minus a little. Keep in mind the rest period.

To figure how much pork you will to feed a group, take the number of people and divide by 2.4.

For me cooking to 190° is on the low end. Cook to the point of the meat being tender, for me that is usually between 195° and 200°.

My 2¢, GG
  • Snickers
    Snickers Posts: 50
    Options
    My A.D.D. makes me ask questions multiple times.

Thanks everyone for the help :cheer:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    I just did my first butt on my Egg this past weekend. I was figuring on a 12-14 hr cook. I started it at midnight and checked the temp at 9am. Was at 196 so i pulled it off and wrapped it in 4 layers of foil for the rest period. I was worried that it might not be hot because we were eating it for dinner. I pulled it out of the cooler at 6pm and it was still good and hot and pulled so easily. The long rest period didnt hurt it at all. I would figure on a longer cook time and if it turns out to be shorter you are still ok. Just a rookie here but it came out great!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

That is one of the longest rest periods I have seen posted.

I have kept a butt hot to touch with the hands for 6 hours but haven't gone any longer than that.

It seems I am starting the egg between 1 and 2 am in order for a 4 to 5pm eat. Eventually I began cooking the butts at a hotter temperature and putting the meat on about 7 am.

GG