Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex Gasket

Options
JDubOK
JDubOK Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess I should have posted this question before I actually purchased the new gasket, but I ordered one of the nomex gaskets High-Que today. My OEM gasket didn't make it past the first couple of hight temp grilling sessions. Anyone have any experience with the Nomex gasket? Any recs on how to scrape off the melted residue from the original?

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I replaced mine with Nomex after my first pizza cook fried the original. It has held up great since then. I applied the acetone with a sponge and used a razor blade paint scraper. I sprayed the glue on without covering anything up with no problems. I used the left over Nomex to put a band inside my daisy wheel and the green lid. It gives it a tighter seal. I sprayed the glue in a paper bowl and used a paint brush for that process...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    Fred of Fred's Music and BBQ in PA has a nice set of three videos that take you throught the entire process. I recently stopped by and bought the nomex gasket and glue, but haven't put it on yet, but when I do, I'll follow Fred's instructions.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/557.htm
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    I literally just finished pitting on my high temp gasket a few minutes ago. Had to replace mine after a pizza cook killed the original. The process was very simple and didn't take long at all. The one thing I did to make life a bit easier and make sure I didn't lose any fingers was I removed the lid. I used acetone as well as 3M adhesive remover and a razor blade which helped the process. Let the Egg dry for a while so I made sure the new gasket stuck good. I used the 3M Super 77 spray adhesive as recommended. The high temp gasket gasket goes on very easy. I readjusted the lid and tightened everything up and should be good to go.
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    Options
    It was very easy to use. Bought a razor blade paint scraper and goof off to remove the old one and put the new one on very easily. Used a very light sander to smooth out anything left over and now i have a ridiculously tight seal.
  • mental1
    mental1 Posts: 60
    Options
    I replaced mine after a high temp cleaning killed my old one. I cooked six pizzas this weekend with no ill effects. It works well. If you have a Dremmel, the wire brush attachment works great to clean off the left-over adhesive. I too used Fred's videos as my guide.