Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time egging.

meat03man
meat03man Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well on Friday I finally saved enough cashed to buy my Large egg. I built a custom table and came home and put my egg up. I worked Friday night 3rd shift and got up Saturday around 2 and fired up the egg. Cooked a whole chicken (backbone cut out) and about an 8 pound butt. Chicken got done fairly quick so that was dinner, pork butt cooked for about 9 hours so it was midnight snack. I shot them up with an applejuice mixture and did a spritz with the same mixture. I also went heavy with Bad Byrons Butt Rub, and some Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning which I use on just about everything. The chicken was almost perfect, the wife claimed it was the best chicken she has ever had. It was ridiculously juicy, a little spice, and sweet. However the real jewel was the butt, it was the best bbq I have ever had period. Fall off the bone, sweet juicy spicy. It was insane the amount of flavor it had. I knew everyone swore by the egg but I was amazed at just how easy it was to use. It required no work, I mean I kept checkin my temp but never had to do anything, I hit 250 and it stayed there for 9 straight hours. Sunday we did a mothers day dinner where I cooked 3 racks of ribs and about 15 chicken breasts, the ribs turned out really good, had just the right amount of kick for me and the guys, a little to much for the wifes though. The chicken breasts could have been better though, I mean they were good an juicy but next time I will work on that a little bit, I think a little time seasoning would have worked I just took them out of the pack rubbed them down with seasoning and put them on. I am sure there is a perfect breast recipe and I will find it with a little work. Then last night the wife and I had a digorno pizza also cooked on the egg, turned out really good actually just enough of a wood baked taste to enjoy with no smokey taste in the bread.

Comments

• meat03man
    Also after weeks of dad telling me 800 was to much to spend on a grill, he ate some of the chicken/butt from saturday and was a believer instantly.
    "Well 800 dollars is a lot of money for a grill, but you can't argue with how good it cooks"
    Wondering how long till he buys one.
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Congrats, sounds like a great first experience. Looking forward to mine in the next few weeks :)
  • meat03man
    Good luck man, its just so easy, I have been cooking ever since I can remember, I have been bbqing for the past 10 years, as well as in a restaraunt for the about 6 years, and this is the easiest thing I have ever used.