Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long butt roast.

Options
UPEgger
UPEgger Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up two 3.5lb boston butt roasts(bone in). I figured they would take about seven hours on the lg bge. I put them on at 10:30AM. They were placed two inches apart on the grill. I used the plate setter legs up and an aluminum foil pan with about 1" of water in it. I had probes in both roasts and one probe at grill level for grill temp. I maintained 250F grill temp the whole time. I finally got to 195F, in both roasts, at 12:30AM. In short they cooked like they were one(approx 14 hrs) 7lb roast. My question===Why. UPEgger.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Beats me. I recently cooked a 5 lb butt and two 2.5 pounders (had two 5 lb butts and cut one in half as an experiment). All three finished at the same time. Go figure.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• UPEgger
    UPEgger Posts: 39
    Options
    This was the first "multiple" roast that I have done. The single butts that I have cooked were in the 7 plus lb range and cooked to perfection with the traditional 2hr per pound formula. This cookout was a surprise...plus we did not eat what we had planned on eating... pulled pork. UPE
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    Are you sure your pit probe is correctly calibrated? At 250°F at the grill, that cook should have taken quite a bit less time than noted. Just a thought.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Thermometer calibrated? And don't use any water in the drip pan, not needed.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    Were they touching each other in the cooker. I think they cook like a single piece of meat if they are touching.

I never do small butts anymore. It seems like they always take longer than 2 hours/lb.

At 250 pit they should have cooked a little faster for sure. I'm assuming that your dome thermometer was at 250. In my Egg the temp at the grid is about 15-25 degrees cooler than the dome temp.