Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Long butt roast.

UPEggerUPEgger Posts: 39
edited 11:16AM in EggHead Forum
I picked up two 3.5lb boston butt roasts(bone in). I figured they would take about seven hours on the lg bge. I put them on at 10:30AM. They were placed two inches apart on the grill. I used the plate setter legs up and an aluminum foil pan with about 1" of water in it. I had probes in both roasts and one probe at grill level for grill temp. I maintained 250F grill temp the whole time. I finally got to 195F, in both roasts, at 12:30AM. In short they cooked like they were one(approx 14 hrs) 7lb roast. My question===Why. UPEgger.
·

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,359
    Beats me. I recently cooked a 5 lb butt and two 2.5 pounders (had two 5 lb butts and cut one in half as an experiment). All three finished at the same time. Go figure.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • UPEggerUPEgger Posts: 39
    This was the first "multiple" roast that I have done. The single butts that I have cooked were in the 7 plus lb range and cooked to perfection with the traditional 2hr per pound formula. This cookout was a surprise...plus we did not eat what we had planned on eating... pulled pork. UPE
    ·
  • srq2625srq2625 Posts: 262
    Are you sure your pit probe is correctly calibrated? At 250°F at the grill, that cook should have taken quite a bit less time than noted. Just a thought.
    ·
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Thermometer calibrated? And don't use any water in the drip pan, not needed.
    ·
  • BamaEGGBamaEGG Posts: 169
    Were they touching each other in the cooker. I think they cook like a single piece of meat if they are touching.

I never do small butts anymore. It seems like they always take longer than 2 hours/lb.

At 250 pit they should have cooked a little faster for sure. I'm assuming that your dome thermometer was at 250. In my Egg the temp at the grid is about 15-25 degrees cooler than the dome temp. 
    ·