Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - I Owe Egg Food

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,025
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last week at lunch my co-worker yelled at me to get off my phone. They give me crap when I check the forum during lunch. I told her to leave me alone and that I was busy looking for a lawn tractor on Craigslist. All joking of corse when saying it. My co-worker mentioned that they had a old riding tractor I could have if I could get it running. Stopped on the way home from work since it was only a few houses down from my parents. Tractor was hidden under all kinds of stuff in the shed. Second guessed myself when seeing the tractor at first. After trying to charge the battery and jumping it, the battery wasn't going to start. For a split second it tried to turn over. So I figured the motor might be ok. Tried unlocking the transmission with the release handle in back with no luck. Being the transmission is hydrostatic the rear tires were locked up and not going anywhere. Couldn't roll the tractor, more less up the hill. Ran down to my parents place and cut a sled in half for the back rear tires. Fired up dads Ford utility tractor and went to work. After getting the garden tractor rear tires on sleds we towed the garden tractor up the hill. No damage to their yard with the sleds. Sweet! Once at home we were unsure where to start. I started grabbing handfuls of dirt off the engine block. Found nests of who knows what animal in the engine compartment. Pressure washed with water and went to town with degreser. Rinsed off again with water and could finally see what we were working with. Took the starter off and wanted to see if that was any good. Starter spun when connected to the battery. Took the starter apart and cleaned her up. Wen't and bought a new battery later that night. Cleaned all the connections to the starter and the solenoid. Dumped the old oil and replaced it with some new synthetic oil. Turned the key and she fired right up. Must have had a bad connection or the starter was just dirty. Must have sat for 5-6 years and she was tired of it. The rest of the work was cosmetic. The front "face mask" was all over the place. The front grill was also smashed in. After getting everything into shape, bolted the mower back together. Looks pretty good after a little elbow greese. Did a little research on the mower and Simplicity made 200 Vikes mowers. Pretty rare mower I guess. One less thing out of the 5,000,000 things you need when you own your first house I guess. Anything to help the wallet.

So FINALLY I'm getting to my question. What do I owe them? Thinking something on the egg. Thinking some good steaks? Ribs? Don't really know what to make. They already refused any payback prior of me getting the mower. All they said they wanted was their shed back.

DSCN8790.jpg

DSCN8789.jpg

DSCN8791.jpg

DSCN8794.jpg

DSCN8796.jpg
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Some game day ribs would be a nice thought.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Forget something on the Egg; if they have a Viking lawnmower give them some lutefisk. :huh:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    I would say...They have their shed back, and now they owe you a paint job!!!! :woohoo: :laugh: :silly: :laugh:
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Chicago Bear navy and orange would cover that up nicely :woohoo:

Helluva score and tractor detail.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I say smoke them a boston butt. :)
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Looks like a pretty big "owe" from the pics, even if given to you....

I would go to Costco and get a prime subprimal boneless, dry age it for 45 days, then have them over for steaks cooked on the egg. Cut and pressure pack the steaks not being served, and after serving them the most incredible steaks they have ever had (be sure and add a little mesquite to egg :laugh: ) then send them home with a couple of nice vacuum packed steaks and a big thank you. In my world that says "Even Steven".... :whistle:
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is really cool. It looks brand new. Good job on the restore!

I definitely think some egged goodness is in order. If nothing else just invite them over for a cookout.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Wow, very nice fix it job! You did them a favor getting it out of there. Some egg'd food would be a nice payback though. Maybe cook up a pork butt for some pulled pork.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    That's a good idea. Hope we have some football this year!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Botch- Maybe go with Spam!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Little Chef - Feel the same way some weeks during the season!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    XYRN - Thought it might be scrap metal at first. Then maybe paint it blue and orange! Might be a pretty good score. Thanks!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    2Fategghead - Pulled pork might be a good call. Thanks!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    LFGEnergy - Didnt even think about anything dry aged. That's a good call. I really do owe them. Thanks for the tip!

Minnesota
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    WeberWho?, I bet if you changed that back decal to 'LSU', Frank from Houma would place a high bid for your mower. :lol::lol::lol:

Nice restoration! :)
  • WeberWho
    Options
    SmokeyPitt - Thanks! Was kind of a fun project. I thought it might be more than just a battery issue and cleaning connections. So I used the extra time to clean her up. Came out pretty nice. Have to give props to Simplicity paint department. Some tough paint! Don't think the mower has seen much work. I'm sure my Packer neighbor will hate it!

Minnesota
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    That's a great restoration job you should be proud of, having done a few on cars I know you worked hard to get that kind of result. I would vote for ribs or a butt.(some type of multiple meal cook)Thanks for sharing!Randy
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Dimple's Mom - Thanks! Pulled pork might be a nice easy cook. Plus its not very common here in Minnesota!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Eenie Minne - Thanks! Would only change it to maroon and gold! Golden Gophers!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Bees - Thanks for the comments! A nice few says here in Minnesota. Maybe it was excuse to to be outside. It was a fun little project. Nice when a project actually turns out!

Minnesota
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Yeah you know smoke about three big butts and feed them and send them home with some. Who knows you may plant the BGE seed. Then kick back and see if the seed grows. If they ask about the egg tell them all about it... :)
  • reader40
    reader40 Posts: 69
    Options
    A packers paint job would work! ;)

Yea i would go with some ribs...they will enjoy that for sure.
  • EggerFromIowa
    EggerFromIowa Posts: 181
    Options
    Nice job on the refurbish. I'd be cooking up some Chicago Style pizza on the EGG. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options