Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uh oh...

Options
brownbw
brownbw Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Advice? I live about 1.5 hrs from Atlanta - should I just go get one from the factory? And what kind of cost are we talking here? I'm almost sick that I did this...

scaled.php?tn=0&server=615&filename=ufzhhs.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
Opelika, AL

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    What the heck happened?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    OOOHHHH I am sick for you :sick: at least you are close to get the replacement :)
  • RoundTowner
    RoundTowner Posts: 125
    Options
    :huh: :pinch: :S :blink: :sick::sick: :huh: :S :pinch: :( How did this happen? That sucks!!!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Call and ask about shipping. I'm guessing 30-40 dollars. Might be worth your time and gas money to have them ship it to you.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Gasket change?. Damn that hurts. :pinch: :sick: At least you are close to the mothership
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • brownbw
    Options
    I was replacing the gasket, and needed to retighten the bands, it fell off the back. Just being careless I guess.
    Opelika, AL
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Looks like you were putting new gaskets on. Thats terrible and I don't wish it on anyone. Call around and see who is closest or what your options are. You may want to go get a new one from Tucker, Ga. :(
  • atlpats
    atlpats Posts: 102
    Options
    Man I hate that for you, hopefully you can get a replacement from the Mothership and get back to Eggin soon.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That sucks man...but in the grand scheme of things it won't be that much money. It will probably cost less than the deductible on your car insurance...so it's like you had a very minor car accident. Stuff happens!

You might also call the local dealer. If they have a shipment coming they might help you out with the costs or order it for you.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• brownbw
    Options
    I'm definitely not happy right now, but it's just stuff - way too many more important things in life...

(especially after seeing all the tornado damage first-hand here in Alabama!)
    Opelika, AL
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    I have seen a picture of an egg put back together with J B weld (I believe) not real pretty but it worked. Looks like there are not to many tiny pieces so it might work be worth a try.

Best of luck to you regardless of how you fix it.

Bordello
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    OUCH!! that hurts, sorry for your loss.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :ohmy: BUMMER! :(
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    Man that really sucks! I just put my new gasket on and as I was removing the old gasket I decided to remove the lid entirely. I was really trying to make sure I didn't smash a finger but after seeing this I'm sure glad I took it off. Good luck with a new lid!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,470
    Options
    Being a new owner of less than two weeks, I've just read the manual (please don't take my man-card) and it said that ceramic breakage can be fixed with heat-resistant epoxy. That looks like a nice clean break, go for it!
    Once re-mounted in the steel ring, it'll also help hold it together. And what have you got to lose, if it fails later you'll just have to buy a new lid anyway.
    But, seriously, I think that can be fixed.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,470
    Options
    I'm assuming that's a Large, a new lid will set you back $170:

http://www.thevalleyfarmhouse.com/BigGreenEggCustomerPriceList.pdf

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• atlpats
    atlpats Posts: 102
    Options
    Man I hate that for you, hopefully you can get a replacement from the Mothership and get back to Eggin soon.
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    Nice gasket!!!
    :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :laugh:
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    OMG! So that's how bin Laden looked after the seals got him!
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    Brian I don't mean to make light of your situation but I can't get over how beautiful the contrast of colour between the seasoned and pure exposed ceramic is :(

I think as Botch points out you have nothing to lose by attempting the repair...keep us posted
  • Pork N Stein
    Pork N Stein Posts: 157
    Options
    Interesting to see the cross section like that, and it does look like about as clean a break as you can get. High heat epoxy or maybe even refractory cement could be worth a try?
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    Options
    I called the mothership when something similar happened to me and it was $134 which included shipping. They were great about it.
  • CaptDave
    CaptDave Posts: 54
    Options
    Hi Temp Epoxy, that is what I have read in tips and FAQ's here on the site. Then, if you are not happy with your repair, order the replacement.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Ugh. Breaks my heart.

Sorry to see this happen. Spend some money on a few tubes of jbweld and give it a go.

In the mean time, order up a new dome. Did you also break the rain cap?

T
  • brownbw
    Options
    Well, I drove up to Atlanta yesterday. The folks @ the mothership were awesome! They gave me a great deal and were very helpful - very much worth the 1.5 drive to Tucker. Plus the Dekalb Farmer's Market was only 3 miles from there, so that was a bonus. I'm not sure if the old dome is fixable - despite the look of a clean break, there were massive cracks on both pieces. + Why would I want to spend money on fixing it when I have already bought the new one?
    Opelika, AL
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    Egg ON Man! :cheer: