Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts Again?

Options
JimboBQ
JimboBQ Posts: 197
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ButtsAgain.jpg
<p />My wife told me this afternoon we'd be having her mom and a friend over for dinner tomorrow night and to please "EGG" something. Got 13.8 lbs of butts going with that Wicked Good. This'll be my first low and slow with a firebox full of WG. I did a blend a couple of weeks ago with BGE lump and the WG and I honestly expected to see more lump leftover after the cook than I did. On the Whiz's site the WG looks hardly used after a low & slow.[p]Anyway, I've got the top butt rubbed down with Dizzy Dust and the bottom butt rubbed down with Swamp Venom. I'm really looking forward to the hotter butt of the two. The Guru is puffing along so I know I'll sleep well tonight![p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...

Comments

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Not a great overnighter, at all. First off, when I loaded the meat into the cooker I did not notice the BGE thermometer was sticking down into the top butt. I clip the probe from the Guru to the BGE thermometer and it was about an hour to an hour and a half into the cook that I noticed it. My pit temp was actually around 460 degrees while the dome BGE thermometer said it was 200! It took awhile to get back down to the 250 range. I basically put the plug into the guru and starved it for air. This took about 1.5 hours.Then I hooked the Guru back up, cracked open the daisey wheel and went back to bed. Guru alarm went off around 2:30am. Fire was dropping,,,even with that WG! Opened everything up and the Guru blew lots of air into the egg for a few minutes getting the temp back above the 240 - 250 mark. I went back to bed and it alarmed again at 6:30. My buts were 195 internal temp. They looked pretty good. I foiled them, put them in the ice chest and I'll pull them & take pics after church.We'll see how they turn out. I'm a bit anxious. I put a fork in one and while it pulled "stringy", it seemed a bit dry.[p]Later,[p]Jimbo (slightly tired)
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • jaymer
    jaymer Posts: 49
    Options
    hey JimboBQ,
    i was up at 6:30am as well, foiling two butts that the guru alarm said were done! I wasn't expecting to pull them for another 4 hours but the alarm was loudly ringing out on the patio.
    mine were only on 11 hours - i've got a tiny discrepancy in that my polder is saying the pit temp is 15deg hotter than the guru clip on. I just got my guru this week, and haven't gotten to talk to the guru folks about it yet, but it DOES make me wonder if the meat probe could be off also? 15 deg would make a much bigger diff there, and it could also be the Polder digital, so will have to check em both this week.
    I had my pit temp set to 237 and, unlike yours, i'm pretty sure mine didn't get over 250. Mine were 7.5lbs each before I trimmed them - bone in. Something odd happened cause I didn't think they'd be done so quick.
    jaymer...