Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What can be done with Eggplant?

Options
loco_engr
loco_engr Posts: 5,765
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Caught part of an Emeril show on the Green channel
(Dish Network, Ch 194) about cooking with an eggplant.
What do/can you with such an animal?

Thanks!
aka marysvilleksegghead
Lrg 2008
mini 2009
XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
Henny Youngman:
I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap

Comments

• Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Options
    Zippys pie looks awesome. Never done it on a pizza but fried eggplant is very good.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1082000&catid=1#
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Baba Ganoush......it's delicious prepared on the egg.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Lasagna!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    First thought that comes to mind is - don't buy it! Or if you already have - trash it. But I have said that about a number of things about which I have recently seen the light... Brussels Sprouts, for example. And avocado. Both are outstanding, though I had hated them earlier.

Maybe there's hope for eggplant... even for me!! Hope others chime in with some suggestions. If I can learn to love Brussels Sprouts, perhaps I can learn to love anything!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Grill them, no breading, then make traditional eggplant parmesan. Just had some at Damian Mandolas restaurant and it was excellent!
    Some eggplant can be bitter (esp the large black skinned ones) so slice it into 1/2in thick slices, place in colander and salt. After 30 min rise off salt, pat dry then brush with EVOO and grill 'em. Place in a baking dish, alternate layers of marinera sauce and grated parmesan and top with fresh mozzarella. Place in egg @350 until bubbly (i would use the place setter)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Delete "perhaps," Michael, you have proven you have an open mind. Even if it requires a little knee in the back coaxing from time to time.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    What Joan said - it's outstanding

You can simply put some EVOO, your favorite seasoning, grill, then sprinkle with parmesan.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Brush with garlic infused olive oil, grill direct until soft, top with grated parm. WOW
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I guess I should have said slice in 1/2" slices.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I usually plant the long thin asian type eggplants. Slice them length wise into ribbons, brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with seasalt and fresh ground black pepper then grill. As somebody else said you can make lasagna with eggplant ribbons instead of noodles. Cook the regular eggplants on the grill then mash them to make eggplant dressing with either shrimp or sausage.
    Slice the regular eggplants and make moussaka.
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm not sure it is possible to do anything good with Eggplant.

I need a barfing emoticon. Yuck.

I'll eat just about anything, but I have never had good Eggplant.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    jaymag_87 wrote:
    I'm not sure it is possible to do anything good with Eggplant.

I need a barfing emoticon. Yuck.

I'll eat just about anything, but I have never had good Eggplant.

You've never had my mom's Stuffed Eggplant then... :laugh:

It's really not stuffed at all, eggplant is cooked and then liquified in a blender, then a couple pounds of jumbo lump crab, butter, etc...baked into a ridiculous feast! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I'd share the recipe, but if my mom found out, she'd never talk to me again! :whistle:
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    c'mon brad she'll never find out...sounds great.

;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    back a while ago i did a cook inspired by the color purple... eggplant was included.

we like to slice it, leave the skin on. salt it liberally and place it on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet. you can also lay paper towel over it. this will draw out a lot of moisture. do it for an hour or more

i brush with a little olive oil and grill it, then drizzle with more olive oil, and salt/pepper to serve

03eggplantgrill.jpg

some of th other purple stuff...
    01purpleingredients.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    you can also select male eggplants, which have fewer seeds. males have a rounder/smaller 'belly button' than the females. the female eggplant will have an oval, longer, bigger 'bellybutton' on the bottom

fewer seeds, less bitter. even for the larger ones
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    stike, what's in the bowl? B) Octopus?
  • stike
    Options
    yeah
    not the prettiest pic.

04octogrill.jpg
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    How did you fix it? Why didn't you post this?
    Did you like it? Would you do it again?
  • stike
    Options
    i posted that thread a year or so ago, maybe two.

and it went over like a lead balloon. not much call for octopus and eggplant round here. :laugh:

couple different ways to fix it. i just like to grill it then chop and serve in a vinaigrette
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I am not even going to ask how you know that

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    the search here wouldn't call it up. p.i.t.a., so i did a 'site search' for it via google, and it turned the thread up easy enough.

>>>The Color of the Day is Purple

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I’m looking for a different emoticon right about now. I ‘get’ not liking a particular type of food either because you’ve never had it properly prepared or did & just didn’t like it which of course is fine. But, to proclaim it cannot be good is about as narrow minded & ignorant a statement a person could make
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • stike
    Options
    it may be a myth, frankly. but i got it on inside info from Alton Brown, who's begot some street cred i think.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    There are TONS of ways.Eggplant Parmesan,Grilled,Stuffed and Baked.My FAVORITE way to eat them is fried.Peel them,cut into "steak fry'shape/size.Soak for an hour in STRONG salt water,drain,soak in buttermilk,dredge in seasoned corn meal,deep fry til golden. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    haha. tru dat, judy. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    That might make egplant edible. Might. ;)