Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help?

Cowpreacher
Cowpreacher Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thawed out a pork tenderloin to marinate overnight and I let it get to almost room temperature on the outside. Can I refrigerate it again or do I need to cook it now?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• How long has it been out of refrigeration?? Not a matter of cooking now, or tomorrow...what is it's temp? And how long did you forget it was out?
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Been there, done that. :sick:

Welcome to the forum, a lot of good info here . . .
    FAQ - Tips & Helpful Information

The “Danger Zone” (40 °F-140 °F)
    "Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 ° and 140 °F, doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. This range of temperatures is often called the “Danger Zone.” That’s why the Meat and Poultry Hotline advises consumers to never leave food out of refrigeration over 2 hours. If the temperature is above 90 °F, food should not be left out more than 1 hour."
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/How_Temperatures_Affect_Food.pdf

Good luck,

Blair

• Gator, I think he may have crashed again. :S Been waiting for his reply. Sounds like my typical...take something out to thaw, and crash. Wake up, and oh crap! Been there and done that. :pinch: Always afraid to take the chance on it.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Yup, I hate it when that happens but I have had sever food poisoning before and once was enough. I literally wished I was dead for four days and couldn't even keep a glass of water down for that time. Dehydration was a major factor and I should have been hospitalized. It was a slow recovery because I had no appetite for anything. I lost about 40 pounds the first week and by the end of the summer my weight was down to 129. I can remember buying jeans with a 29" waist in them, boy are those days long gone!

"When in doubt, throw it out" are wise words to live by. :)

Blair

• Thanks guys,
    It had been about an hour and 15 minutes between checking to see if it was ready to marinate and I got skittish. I dropped it i a slow cooker and I will cook the second tenderloin on the egg.
    I appreciate the advice/input.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    only an hour and fifteen minutes?

no issue there
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante