Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drop off in chicken quality?

Options
NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone else noticed a drop off in the quality of whole chickens recently?

I smoked a pair of chickens yesterday. One had broken ribs and the foot broken off.

DSC_0032resized-3.jpg

The other was missing half a wing entirely.

DSC_0038resized.jpg

I have consistently bought Tyson young chickens over the years and lately I have seen a lot of this lately. I know I'm just going to spatchcock them and cook them anyway, but it just seems like quality control isn't what it used to be. Maybe I've just been unlucky?

On edit: PS I'm doing a giveaway of Peace, Love, and Barbecue on my facebook page. Giving it away Monday night. http://www.facebook.com/NibbleMeThis2
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Definitely a Tennessee thing.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Chris: Haven't seen that here! I always look for bruising in the package which indicates the bird was injured while still alive or very early in the slaughter process while blood was still flowing. If no bruising is apparent, it's a result of rough handling after processing. What are the other common factors here...same retailer? Call Tyson to express your observations and concerns.
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Philsgrill, Tyson is in Ark. The # 3 chicken producer in the world, behind China #1 and Brazil #2. :):):) Ronnie.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    **** fighters have to be eaten, just like everybody else. You may have enjoyed a prize fighter, that is until he lost.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I try to stick with Grade A birds. They cost a little more per pound but I find less problems with the birds. Need to look for the little USDA "A" label on the packaging.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Guess I need to move then :laugh:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Good point, it does seem to be after the fact damage as there is no blood pooling in the affected areas.

Also good point about the retailer, we almost always get the twin pack from Sam's.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Now given that I am in East Tennessee where that kind of thing goes on (recent bust in past few months), that is extra funny! :laugh:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Could all the tragedy in AR and surrounding areas have anything to do with the quality? They did loose millions of birds.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    That's why I love this forum. I didn't realize they had USDA grades for chickens!

I'll definitely be on the look out from now on, thanks for the pointer.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I don't think that's it. I've been seeing this for about the past two months.

I'm thinking tjv and Little Chef both may be on to something.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Chris: I can 99.999999% guarantee that you are getting Grade A chickens at Sams. Grade B&C don't generally even make it to retail...they are processed into canned soups, etc, then even into cat/dog food, etc. I can't help but think it's the way they are being stocked. Those 'twin packs' are packaged in a way that makes it easy to 'sling them' around. And as discussed previously, if there's no bruising, it likely happened after the processing facility.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    LC, you might check with your connections as I'd like to know for sure but I think inspection and grading are two different deals. Inspection is mandatory and grading is voluntary with poultry. I have a couple grocery stores around me that do not carry graded birds on occasion, my local Kroger being one.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    tjv: You are correct, inspection and grading are two different deals. Beef, pork & poultry are required to be inspected. But no meat, including beef, is required to be graded. (Some game does not require inpection at all.) Inspections are covered by our tax dollars, grading is not, and instead paid by the processing facility. Tough to be a reputable beef or poultry dealer, without paying the extra $$$ to promote/confirm your quality and grading. Here is a link for you, which helps it make more sense.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/inspection_&_grading/index.asp

I suppose my statement was a bit ambiguous, but the main point being....If he is buying a brand name Tyson chicken, from a retailer as large as Sams...I am 99.99999% positive it is graded...and Grade A. And yes, grading is optional. Hope this helps!
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Had a broken leg on another brand of "all natural" whole chicken, too :unsure:

Love to eat meat, not torture the creatures :sick:
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    All processing plants are under pressure and paid for performance. BPM (Birds per minute) is the standard measure. Broken bones just happen in the process. Many time breaks are hard to detect until you get home because the skin will hide such flaws. But with birds being processed at more than two per second breakage happens.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    but if it is missing a wing, that happens prior to packaging, no? and aren't they packaged at the processor?

just wundering :unsure:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante