Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Friday Night Fish Fry....from the grill

Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
edited 10:14PM in EggHead Forum
Something new for me, Escolar. We enjoyed this fish very much, grilled up beautifully and was delicious. I guess it's dangerous to eat in large quantities so I asked the butcher for tail end and under 6 oz. each, I think they were about 5 oz. per serving. Perfect.
BGEFridayNightFishGrilling0005.jpg

Excellent sea scallops again with Richard Fl special spice blend "Indian River". Frogmat made grilling these delicate sea gems a snap.
BGEFridayNightFishGrilling0007.jpg

Also called oil fish or butter fish, this is in the mackerel family and caught in deep water. I used Dizzy Pig Raging River and I basted with a lime/butter sauce.
BGEFridayNightFishGrilling0008.jpg

Sweet and moist with a delicate flavor, this Wisconsin Fish Fry(grilled) :P disappeared fast.
BGEFridayNightFishGrilling0009.jpg

Comments

• SlowMotionSlowMotion Posts: 7
    Very nice - I want some!
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Very nice Clay! -RP
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,588
    Really looks like seriously good eats.
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    I've had it ONCE.One of the BEST tasting fish I have EVER tasted. :) Looks GREAT!
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Clay: Awesome looking meal!! Everything looks SO delicious!!! I must ask...why Escolar? It's not so much dangerous, as it is...well... I pray for you a good nights sleep!! :blink: Truly, it doesn't happen to everybody, so I hope you are both spared! It is an amazing fish to eat, for sure! But I only did it once. :S :blink: It didn't sit well with MY system...hope you both fare better!
  • davehempdavehemp Posts: 109
    Well, for Pete's sake, it's too late to make me google this...What the hell are y'all talkin' about? Is there some sort of explosive laxative in this fish, or something else unique to this bugger? It sure looks good... :huh:
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Yes...It is known for its 'laxative' properties...and can be pretty extreme for some folks
  • dugdbugdugdbug Posts: 244
    Those scallops are making me hungry again :side:
    I have enjoyed the "butterfish" as sushi up here in Barrie and was warned that it has special powers but frankly didn't notice a thing...no really :)
  • Kew_el_steveKew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Little Chef wrote:
    Yes...It is known for its 'laxative' properties...and can be pretty extreme for some folks

This make me feel squishy... :blush: :sick: :ohmy: :sick:
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Great looking cook Clay.

I love your pic's everything looks nice and tasty.

Have a great weekend. ;)
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    Little Chef,

Thanks much, yeah this was awesome for dinner last night and we commented how delicious the fish truly is. I'm one of those guy's that's always on the lookout for something new that I have not tried before. I'm an explorer I guess. My fish monger says it's a hit with customers but he for warns everybody about the 'potential danger' :whistle: Well that got my interest going so I bought it. Eaten in moderation the poison has little effect, he says. So far so good for this big guy. ;)
    Also, I believe a Gordon's Gin Martini, shaken not stirred, with Perl green olive, neutralizes the danger. Two of them.
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    Thats a Friday night that cant be beat... great looking fish and scallops dinner.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    Great pictures clay.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

The seafood looks wonderful Clay, I'm not sure I am brave enough to try the Escolar after reading the Wiki on it but it sure looks good! The scallops look delightful, one of my favorite foods, I could eat then all day long. :)

Blair

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,472
    I just looked it up and it looks like the worst effect would be similar to eating stike's duck :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON