Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First stuffed pork loin. Pic heavy.

Cobra
Cobra Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had my first attempt at a stuffed pork loin, and I thought the results were good. On the other hand, theres always room for improvement. Any recommendations for cooking method? I cooked it indirect for roughly 2 hours at 350, and it was just a little dry. Here are the pics in order from start to finish.

Before carving.
90c671cb.jpg

After carving.
3924e36e.jpg

Some gorgonzola cheese, and a little Cavenders greek seasoning.
1b1f59f5.jpg

Some spinach and stuffing.
6b111b4b.jpg

Rolled, and on the way to being tied up.
e87c2c80.jpg
850693fc.jpg

All tied up, and ready to go.
c4e17a07.jpg

And finally the finished product.
eb1e7421.jpg
fc84f487.jpg

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    I wouldn't worry about time. Get a good instant read thermo and cook til the center (meat) is 145 deg then let it rest.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Cobra: Looks good!! Dry = overcooked. What internal temp did you pull it at? Always cook to internal temp, not time. I take my lean cuts of pork off at 135*, and allow a rest, where it will climb to the low-mid 140's. Looks good though!
  • Cobra
    Cobra Posts: 110
    Temp was in question, I was too lazy to look up safe temp for pork, so I cooked it to around 155-160. I know that it is claimed to be safe to eat pork less done these days, but change doesn't always come easy for me. I knew it was overcooked, but it wasnt by any means inedible.

Thanks for your input.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Jody,

145* is more than safe. I pull at 135* and rest.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Consider pulling the loin off sooner. Before 150F internal temp. You may like it. I do. :P You can always cook it more if you don't like it. It won't hurt you lots and lots and lots of folks here pull it before 150F I pull at 140F IT.

You can also soak the loin in a salt water brine. That may help you. :)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Look really good. What type stuffing did you use. BTW nice slicing the loin mine never looks that neat. :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Steve, I've never done a stuffed one and didn't know if it would hold the heat as long. thanks
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Looks great frankly. As for too dry, throw out your watch. The only thing I cook by time is lobster and steamers. Otherwise, take the internal temp. A pork roast? 140-145 max
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    All nasties in Pork are gone at 137*. Pull at 140* and let rest; it will go up another 5-10*. Don't worry if it's a little pink in the middle if followed per above.
    B)
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Very nice
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    hasn't been a case of trichinosis in usda pork in decades. even then, it's dead at 140 (ok, ok, 138, LC :)). if not trichinosis, then it's the same bacteria as beef that are the concern, which are also taken out of the picture around 140.

stuffing can throw off temps too, but essentially you are perfect at 140 (taking off at 135 and resting), your 'pink pork police' will usually still be happy at 145, at 150, you will have moist pork on the plate but dry leftovers. at 160 or above you'll force all the water from it and have something like what we all ate growing up: hard white/grey pork

try 140-145 for starters. that will ease you down a bit. you'll seriously understand how good pork can be at temps closer to what you'd serve beef, and pork is less dangerous than beef ever thought of being these days.

stuffed loin or tenderloin is great, and yours looked fine even if, as you said, it was a little dry. the egg is forgiving because it retains quite a bit of moisture
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Wow, you ought to be a surgeon!
    I would love to see a step by step how to cut that piece.
    Regards,
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Dugdbug, If you want to learn how to cut your loin for stuffing look this YouTube video over. Tim :)

At first it plays a commercial then the chef will come on and show you how to make the cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eCpL6cj7Rw
  • Looks good to me! I'm going to try a stuffed pork loin tomorrow and I have to say that the hardest part was cutting the loin properly. You did a fine job, mine don't look near as nice as that, but we'll give it a try though.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Looks great, Cobra!  Mine was quite a bit smaller in diameter than yours (I think you used a lot more stuffing, you certainly had a bigger "flap" than I did, congrats!) and mine cooked in only 45 minutes, it didn't get near the good-looking exterior your did.
    And I echo what several have said, trichinosis has been essentially eradicated in the U.S. so go for a little pink.  I've read that farmers are starting to breed to get more fat in the porkers now too, that's great news!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    read on Cooks Illustrated to simply make a slice on the lower third but don't cut all the way, the slice the top third and you are done.  Seems a bit easier than the video but I haven't tried it yet.  No one but me likes enough things to stuff a pork loin....I will say in CI, they were doing it just to get more pork area for the seasoning.  Might try it next time.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Looks good!

Pork Loin is one of our favorites on the egg.

Try a bacon weave...youtube or a quick search will show you how.

Ive tried several different stuffings...my wife's favorite is teriakii powder from a pouch as the rub on the inside and outside between the loin and bacon...and then stuffed with dried cherries and cashew nuts crushed and chunked pienapple.