Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Roast

jaydub58
jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thought I'd share something I tried last night (I love to mess around with recipes). I apologize, I'm not photo-capable yet, I just don't know how.
I had read about the Bouchon Chicken Roast and wanted to give it a shot. I got a 5.5 lb. chicken and chopped up potatoes, onion, carrots,celery and red peppers. I was concerned about the amount of liquid chicken fat in the pan with the veggies, so I used a disposable aluminum pan and just punched four nail holes in the middle of the pan. Then I put the chicken on a vertical roaster over the holes, poured out a little olive oil to start, and piled the veggies into the pan around the chicken.
Stabilized at 350 deg, plugged in my remote thermometer, and just kicked back. Just over two hours had me at 178 deg breast. Off the grill into the kitchen for 10-15 minutes to rest, and wow! what a treat. This is definitely a repeater.
I do hope I can get on to photos eventually.
Sorry to be so long-winded!

:laugh:
John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    FWIW, I forgot to mention that I just did it on a raised grid, direct heat. The chicken grease that did get out through the holes in the pan was enough to just give a nice smokey flavor!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    John,

Great cook! Gotta LOVE that Bouchon Roast Chicken. :woohoo:

We thawed and rewarmed the last 1/2 chicken from my posted Bouchon Roast Chicken cook last week. It was just as good as the first night !

Next time I am going to try it very elevated, indirect and at 450*. I think the elevation will keep the veggies from burning, yet crisp up the skin nicely !