Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanna help me decide?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm ready to order my egg. Do you think a small will be large enough? Just the two of us here to cook for. Will it be big enough
to do about a 5 lb. roast? Also will it hold fire long enough to do low and slow pork, or would I have to reload half way thru? Thanks

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Gord, if you can do it, get the large - else go for the medium. I have a medium and thee have been a few time whem more space would have been great. What ever egg you get, you will enjoy![p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Gord,[p]The small Egg is big enough to do a 5 lb prime rib, about 20 buffalo style wings, and 10" pizzas at each cook. It can also cook low and slow, but is limited to about 8-10 hours of cooking time on a load of lump.[p]The medium Egg provides more space and can cook low and slow for 15-17 hours.[p]Spin

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Spin, on my 1st butt (last October) when the weather was beautiful, I got a about 19.5 hours on the medium with maybe another hour to spare. Butt went on at 10:55pm and cam off the next day at 5:45pm

[ul][li]Butt on the Medium[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gord,
    Check the archives. There are many posts on the same question you have. Lots of great answers.[p]Many people end up with two eggs, because it is so addictive. If you can afford the large, that is what I would recommend. The small is great, but you will find many instances where you are limited for space...one example would be cooking a whole chicken, and some potatoes or corn at the same time. Other examples might be when you want to do a long slow cook, or entertaining a group. The extra fuel capacity is great for long cooks. Lots of room for indirect setups for baking, and indirect cooking. It is much heavier, but doesn't use that much more fuel.[p]You can always purchase a medium, and check on your dealers policy on exchanges. You can trade-up within a certain period of time with little or no penalty.[p]IMO, the small is sufficient for what you describe, but you will not be disappointed if you move up in size.[p]Happy weekend!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Lee2
    Lee2 Posts: 38
    Gord,
    Since the amount of time I have to do low and slow (weekends) is limited I am glad I bought the large Egg. I can do ribs or a ham & turkey combo on the large and have enough goodies to last the week. I normally cook for 2 or 3 people max and, given my limited Egg time, would have been very sorry had I bought anything smaller.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Gord, If guests are a rarity, and only two..then the Happy Medium is a fine fit. The small is a super addition to either the medium or the large. Its also semi portable for take along to a picnic. I have two..small and the large and it works out for me..Only two here also.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Thanks for all the great input. I think when all is said and done, I will go for the largest that I can afford, which very well may be the smallest.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Gord, the small will work fine for you. It will teach you its ways as you go. Later you can add the Large. I did the reverse, Large then the small. Either way is fine. Check in with us on your first cooks and we can help ya along..
    Cheers...Welcome to the BGE show!
    Char-Woody