Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some questions...

Options
BarManBean
BarManBean Posts: 129
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Planning on building a table based on Naked Whiz's plans. How much are folks spending for the materials to build such a table?

I am debating between building the table and buying a large Egg or buying a demo egg at the upcoming fest in MD that would come with a nest. If the materials for the table are going to cost me a ton, I may just go with the nest for now...

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    As a general rule count on $200 for materials plus your time...of course some have spent more & some less....good luck... :)
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    I'm into mine for about $300.00 in wood so far, but I didn't use inexpensive wood.

The rest of the materials cost me another $200.00 or so.

Your costs will really vary on what materials you chose.

If you want to go the less expensive route, you should just go with the nest. A lot of dealers offer rolling nests with the eggfest/demo eggs anyway. If you get a rolling nest, you can build a table 'around' the nest. :)

Good luck, no matter which way you go - the key point is that at least you have an egg. :)

Ted
  • BarManBean
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Another question...where the heck did you find the wood? I'm calling all over and everyone I talk to at a lumber yard acts like i'm insane when I ask for 4/4 or 8/4 boards...?
  • TRPIV
    Options
    I went to a local lumber yard that specializes in hard woods.

Regarding the designation of 4/4 and 8/4 - they aren't critical. These fractions are indicators for the thickness of lumber. Prior to surfacing 4/4 lumber measures 1”, 8/4 measures 2”. Final milling, surfacing on two sides usually results in 4/4 = 13/16 and 8/4 = 1-13/16 respectively.

Does this matter? Nope. You can build with 3/4"
    and 1 1/2". I did. :) In fact, dimensional lumber requires a bit more effort to acquire, and tiny bit more expensive.

If you use lumber of a different dimension, you just need to adjust your measurements as you build. That is to say, the two inner support cross members which help to 'box in' the legs, they shouldn't be 4" apart, they will need to be adjusted to fit 'snug' around the legs.

Take a look at this image:
    IMG_6313.jpg

See the lower frame? See how the legs are boxed in by the ends and then a second cross member? the plans call for the distance between the end and the cross member to be 4". Because my legs are only 3 11/16" wide, I had to adjust the distance between the two boards. I'm butchering what I'm trying to say. I hope it makes sense. If not, I'll try to get some photos of my table this evening, with a tape measure to illustrate my points.

Hope this helps.

Ted
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Look for "hardwood lumber" in your area. They will know what 4/4 means. :) Even here in CT, I can find cypress at two such shops, even though it's not a hardwood. Teak also - but at $20+ per board foot. Mahogany is another good choice. Not as expensive as teak, but still up there. For now, I still have a nest.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TRPIV
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    ... For now, I still have a nest.

Amen, to that. In hindsight, knowing what I've spent on my table, if cost were the only factor, I'd have purchased a wheeled nest.

T
  • BarManBean
    Options
    Ted, that makes perfect sense and should make my search for material MUCH easier! I think an actual trip to the lumber yard is in order, talking on the phone just isn't giving me enough info to pull the trigger and buy the supplies.