Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting my Egg

Options
cbrown10
cbrown10 Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, Graduating from college on Monday so its time to move back home with my parents while I continue the job hunt. Whats the best way to move my large egg home? I have a pickup and will have the back pretty much loaded but of course will be making room for my egg. Is it best if I disassemble it some and remove the fire ring and fire box or would it be fine to just throw it in the back of my pickup as is?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    cbrown10 wrote:
    Whats the best way to move my large egg home?..

Carefully.

How far is the drive? Cross country? Cross town?
  • cbrown10
    Options
    TRPIV wrote:
    cbrown10 wrote:
    Whats the best way to move my large egg home?..

Carefully.

How far is the drive? Cross country? Cross town?

Cross-State. About 300 miles.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    toss it in the back...it'll be fine.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    How was it packaged when you bought it?

I'd venture a guess that you won't be traveling down dirt roads or anything too bumpy. Also assuming the egg will be secured so it's not going to slide around:

I'd most likely remove the fire box and ring, wrap them in newspaper and put them flat in a box or someplace where they won't get banged up. Put some cardboard between the lid and the base (leave it assembled) so the two don't bang together during the drive. Possibly secure the lid so it doesn't spring open. Don't drive like an Earnhardt, and you should be fine. The real big thing is that you don't want it to slide around. Imagine you hitting the brakes hard... that egg will want to continue to go 65/70 (Damn you Isaac Newton and your 3 laws!!)

That's my suggestion.

I moved mine that way and it made it 100 miles just fine. The only exception is that I removed the lid. In hindsight, that may have been unnecessary.

Ted
  • cbrown10
    Options
    TRPIV wrote:
    How was it packaged when you bought it?

I'd venture a guess that you won't be traveling down dirt roads or anything too bumpy. Also assuming the egg will be secured so it's not going to slide around:

I'd most likely remove the fire box and ring, wrap them in newspaper and put them flat in a box or someplace where they won't get banged up. Put some cardboard between the lid and the base (leave it assembled) so the two don't bang together during the drive. Possibly secure the lid so it doesn't spring open. Don't drive like an Earnhardt, and you should be fine. The real big thing is that you don't want it to slide around. Imagine you hitting the brakes hard... that egg will want to continue to go 65/70 (Damn you Isaac Newton and your 3 laws!!)

That's my suggestion.

I moved mine that way and it made it 100 miles just fine. The only exception is that I removed the lid. In hindsight, that may have been unnecessary.

Ted

It was fully put together when I bought it but I was only moving it a few blocks. Glad you mentioned taking off the lid seemed to be overkill, I wasn't wanting to have to do that. Thanks for the advice.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I've driven thousands of miles over dozens of trips with my large in the bed of my truck strapped in with a ratchet strap. I don't take anything out, don't pad it, and have never had an issue.

Just use common sense and you'll be fine.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I put my XL on my trailer,guts and all(including charcoal),without any issues.I have also been known to throw an egg or 2 in the passenger seat of the Jeep(without removing the guts) :ohmy: .Maybe you're over thinking this,or I am under thinking it :blink: :P Just tie it down,or pack enough crap around it to keep it in place.It really ain't rocket surgery :lol:

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Good luck :)
  • Fidel
    Options
    yea, but I notice that beer cooler is cinched down nice and tight! you got your priorities straight

you need to make your way up to Hartwell this weekend, I'll have a cold one on ice for ya.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    You bet your arse,I'm gonna make sure that the beer survives the trip :P I wish I could make it up there man,but Carson has a cub scout camping trip.I'm the provider of pulled pork for the den :ohmy: I'll miss y'all,but will catch up on the next trip ;)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Part of my job is packing and moving fragile objects. Shipping ceramics is the worst.

First thing, yes, remove fire box & fire ring and pack snuggly with wadded newspaper in box(es). You might leave them in the Egg, but then use enough crumpled paper to allow no motion. No loose parts!

It would be a good idea to add extra padding between the dome and the bottom. Be sure to keep the lid as immobile as possible.

Place the Egg at the front of the truck bed. Objects are far more likely to slide forward than back. Think sudden stops. Place some blankets under the Egg, and between the Egg and Cab. The idea is to lessen abrasion by having soft padding between the Egg surface and supports. The padding for something as dense as an Egg needs to be fairly rigid. Foam rubber would be pretty much useless. Styrofoam insulation works well for a single use. Strap down as tightly as possible.

If you have a break, take a minute to make sure the tie-downs are still tight.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Congradulations on the degree. I agree with gdenby, strap it tight with maybe sofa cushions between it and the front.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Do you have a dealer in your area? They may have a used shipping box they can give you, or just seatbelt it in the front seat. Congrats on your graduation and good luck job hunting.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Doug,

How the heck do you lift the xl all loaded up??? I would pull something :pinch:

Nice rig by the way! ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• "Sparky"
    Options
    I use a potlifter and a helper :) Thanks
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Congrats on the degree. Good luck job hunting. IMHO its always better to be safe than sorry. I'd take whatever measures I could to make sure nothing happens to the egg, even if it is overkill.

Nice jeep, Sparky? What year is it? I have an '04 Rubicon lifted on 35's and I don't know that I would put my egg in it. Rides pretty rough.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Personally, I'd remove the fire box and ring, and cinch down the top. Better safe than sorry. It would probably be ok (I've done both ways), but why risk it if you don't have to.