Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE Owners Question

jzcc
jzcc Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our first purchase a few months ago was a large BGE. We have had no problems with it. However, we recently purchased a small to augment our egg family. My question to small egg owners is does your firebox grid fit precisely in the firebox hole?

After the first lighting of the small, I tried to clear the firebox of ashes, but the grid was raised enough (1/4") above the lip of the fire box that the ash tool moved it aside and consequently dumped not only the ash, but also the remaining lump into the space below the grid. A couple of days ago, I got a replacement for the grid. It is the same exact size as the first grid but still does not fit exactly into the firebox. Removing ash has created the same situation as before (moving the grid resulting in lump dumping into the firebox hole). Has anyone else had the same problem? Should I request a replacement firebox?
Thanks for any thoughts on this matter.
Jeri

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    I don't think another firebox would be any different.

Each size Egg has their own characteristics, you are noticing some already.

I'd suggest you clean out the good lump from the small and throw it into the large. Remove the ash and start fresh on the small after a couple of cooks. JMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    No, mine doesnt fit either, I dont think my other three eggs do either (Lg, Med, Mini). But if it did fit precisely in the hole, it seems as if it would cause the firebox to crack when the fire grate expands during heat up. I made a fire grate out of expanded metal to increase air flow, helps my small heat up faster, but it isnt very durable and fails after about 6 months.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    No mine is not an exact fit, it moves when I clear it. Its not a big deal for me, just have to be careful you don't move it to far.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    That's correct, be careful.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    I think you might be using some of the terms incorrectly. I am not sure inunderstand the problem

Fire box is the bowl in which the lump sits. In that, at bottom, is a round cast iron fire grate under the lump. Around the rim of the fire box sits the ceramic firering, and on top of that the grid.

Are you saying you fire grate is loose?

Or maybe, it almost sounds like you don't have the fire ring, and that your grid (metal grill on which you cook) sits on the firebox?

Can you post a pic?

Some fireboxes wobble a bit, but not for long.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Pretty sure he is talking about the grate that holds the lump at the bottom of the firebox.

Jeri-
    I experienced the exact same thing. Had a large, added a small, the first time I was stirring the lump to get the ashes out I lifted the grate and made a big ol' mess. It sucks when that happens. I removed the guts and scooped everything out into a bin and picked out the big pieces of lump.

Now that you know about the problem you just have to be a little more careful with the ash tool. You can still stir the lump, just don't dig too deep. If you are like me it will only happen 3-4 more times until it sinks in ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    It happens every so often to me. It is mostly because the fire grate is small and light, even with lump on it. The mini is worse :P . Just know it and go easy. ;)
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Agree with your assessment. My charcoal grate at the bottom of the fire box will and does move when I'm trying to get the dust and ash in the very bottom of the egg for removal. I've also had the grate move enough to dump lump in the bottom. Fortunately, the SBGE is small enough to remove the unburned charcoal into a bucket and remove the metal grate, fire ring, and fire box for a complete cleaning. Also wish the lower air vent was a larger, often difficult to maintain higher temps.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I wish it were larger because it is a PITA to clean out with the ash tool and my wiggle wod won't fit. My rod is too big for that small hole.

What?? Get your mind out of the gutter people!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Mine doesn't fit as well as the one on my large does either. It isn't a big deal to me, as I don't use the ash tool to remove ashes. I use a shop vac. I just pull the lump out, vaccum the inside of the fire box (keep the holes free of ash), take out the fire grate, and vaccum below. Sometimes I take out the ring and box, but on the small, I just usually stick the hose from the shop vac down there and clean it out. I look through the slide at the bottom to make sure it's good and clean. I bought an el cheapo shop vac for that purpose. Works for me.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    An ill-fitting fire grate, while forcing one to use a bit more caution while stirring lump around, will also give a bit better ventilation and help the cooker achieve the desired temperature in a shorter amount of time. Some even put spacers between the grate and the fire box, so as to facilitate this.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    stike wrote:
    I think you might be using some of the terms incorrectly. I am not sure inunderstand the problem

Fire box is the bowl in which the lump sits. In that, at bottom, is a round cast iron fire grate under the lump. Around the rim of the fire box sits the ceramic firering, and on top of that the grid.

Are you saying you fire grate is loose?

Or maybe, it almost sounds like you don't have the fire ring, and that your grid (metal grill on which you cook) sits on the firebox?

Can you post a pic?

Some fireboxes wobble a bit, but not for long.

You are amazing Mr Stike. Always willing to help even if you can't understand the problem.

I commend you sir.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jzcc
    Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. We'll just have to be a little more careful in the future when clearing ash.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i've started just taking my gtate out and scooping out the ashes. lots less frustrating than trying to get them out from the bottom only to have to go in through the top.
  • stike
    -smitty, was confused because i thought he was clearing it from below. and the 'grid' being raised above he firebox a quarter inch... i didn't know what that meant.

ah well. :unsure:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Smitty,

Bravo! He knows a lot more than he understands.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I know I'm late wading in here on this discussion, but I really don't get it! I use my "gridlifter custom made" tool and vigorously use a back and forth movement to make the ash fall through along with the small lump pieces. It sounds to me like you are poking down at the grate instead of a back and forth movement.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jzcc
    I know that I confused some with my misuse of the term "grid" instead of "grate" and for that I apologize. We're still in the learning process of the new egg lingo. And it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

I used the same back and forth motion in shifting lump and ash in the small as in our large. The difference is that the small is MUCH more sensitive to touch than the large. Now that some of y'all have pointed out that it is a problem, we will approach this issue with a decidedly more gentle touch.

Again, many thanks for the insight and expert advice!
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Here's a question for you - When you put in the grate, are you inserting it so that the bevels are facing the bottom, or the top? I have found that making sure the bevels face down not only makes for a grate that is less likely to slide, it also helps keep the smaller pieces of lump from wedging themselves in the holes and cutting off airflow.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • stike
    "i can remember when...."
  • jzcc
    The bevels are definitely down. I am wondering if a couple strategically placed blobs of JB Weld might keep it from sliding so much.