Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

table top replacement

bgeggdoc
bgeggdoc Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
OK, my BGE table top slats are starting to rot. What ideas do you have for a replacement material? Granite? Stainless? Something a little less expensive? HELP!

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Welcome Aboard! Cypress if you want to stay with wood. Absolutely will not rot, and is not expensive. :)
  • bgeggdoc
    Thanks Capt Frank!
  • BarManBean
    BarManBean Posts: 129
    Where are you located? I think I have a lead on some cypress that I’m going to use to build a table of my own, but I’m likely going to have a bit too much as I have to buy a whole lot from an old woodworking shop...
  • bgeggdoc
    I am in the Atlanta metro area. Not sure I'm going with cypress yet. Thinking about pouring a concrete counter top.

Let me know about the cypress just in case.

Thanks
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    I looked around for cypress, but nobody had it locally.

What's the rest of the table built from? Any reason to not go with what was there?

Pine will be the cheapest and easiest to work with. It's also a very soft wood, so maybe not the best solution.

My wife suggested 3/4 plywood and then tile it. I can't imagine cutting tile for that 21" opening. Yuk.

I went with Poplar for my table. Very durable hard wood. We'll see how it holds up.

Good luck
    Ted
  • Jerzee
    Jerzee Posts: 84
    I built the cart our of pressure treated to resist the rot and went with a stainless countertop for worry free maintenance and longevity.

IMG_20110424_133531.jpg
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Just wondering, what did the stainless cost?

How's it holding up? Sure looks nice.
  • bgeggdoc
    It does liik nice. Where did you go to get the s.s. top done?
  • Snork
    Snork Posts: 15
    Hey guys,

I used a stainless steel restaurant table to build my entire table. It shines up with minimal effort, and will outlive me.
  • Snork
    Snork Posts: 15
    Hey guys,

I used a stainless steel restaurant table to build my entire table. It shines up with minimal effort, and will outlive me.
  • Jerzee
    Jerzee Posts: 84
    I work at a manufacturing facility so the stainless was free. If you were to buy a sheet yourself, you're looking at around $300-$400. Not including programming time and bending operation.

If you have any sheet metal job shops near you, it might not hurt to give a call and see what they can do. I personally love the stainless top: easy to clean, looks nice, and resistant. Pricey but still much less expensive that a granite or quartz countertop.