Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm moving, and am worried about my egg... any advice?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a moving company coming to move all of my stuff several hundred miles away... I decided to let the company move my large egg and table as well. [p]Can you folks think of anything I can do to make sure the unthinkable doesn't happen. The moving company is insured, but I don't want the hassle (or delay) in buying a new egg. [p]Should they just load the egg and the table together onto the truck or take it all apart? [p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    One of the King's Men,
    I would unload the fire box and ring. Get a bunch of those air bubbles and pack around the egg, take the rest with me if possible.[p]Mike

• One of the King's Men,
    I've been wondering the same thing, match day is next week and my fiance and I will be finding out where we are going for residency for the next 5 years. We just got our egg for a wedding shower gift and would hate for something to happen during transport. Any help would be really appreciated.
    fishkiller

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    fishkiller,
    I move my small all the time for camping. Only had a mishap once and that due to stupidity.
    What you have to remember is that ceramic against ceramic is bad news. Here is what I do.
    1) clean the BGE out thoroughly,
    2) reassemble the egg using either foam rubber or bubbles between each part. Personally, I like sheets of three inch foam rubber.
    3) Set the egg in its packing box on foam Rubber. For my small, the packing box is a modified garbage can. When I move the large, it sets in the pickup bed cushioned and strapped down
    4) Surround the egg with more foam
    5) I put the grill itself inside the egg with foam around it.
    6) If you have a plate setter, It should do alright inside if properly cushioned.
    7) Put the little feet (seperately) in the bottom of the packing box.[p]Hope this helps. Like I said, before, I had a mishap once. Since then, I get serious about proper packing. Foam is cheaper than a new egg.

• Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    One of the King's Men,[p]I have done this twice. I would take the egg out of the table and take the firebox and ring out, packing them separately. This will also give you an opportunity to clean a little bit if you are inclined. [p]One thing not to do...put the whole egg in the back of a truck. A friend of mine who was moving to MI did this. He got into an accident on the way and busted up his egg good.

• One of the King's Men,
    Whatever you do, don't pack the egg yourself. If you do, the insurance offered by the moving company will not cover for any damage. I had the movers pack mine last November and it turned out ok. What I should have done is request that they crate the egg. This would have been the safest way to transport the egg. Of course, the company relocating us picked up the whole tab and price was not a concern. Crating is always the best way to go. I worked at a moving company in college and any high value statues or art got crated. I believ the egg falls into this category.

• Jo
    Jo Posts: 26
    One of the King's Men,
    I remember that fear well! We moved to the Bahamas last year. I had the moving company crate mine, got here perfect. My fire ring was cracked already (previous) and still made it perfectly.[p]Definately, let the moving company do it![p]Good luck!

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    One of the King's Men,
    I'm coming in late here, but listen to the folks below - have the movers pack the guts seperately, crate the egg and don't forget to mark the egg as a high dollar value item. Every time I move (six times in 13 years) I make sure my high value list is complete with the highest retail valuable available. I'm not trying to cheat any one if there is an accident or something is ruined, but hey, the frustration in dealing with them after the fact is worth something too... Joe

• Thanks for the advice... I think I'll leave it to the pros.