Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs on mini

Options
Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Despite the size of the mini, has anyone cooked ribs on the mini for a low and slow? I have been trying to fabricate my own set up for indirect and a 2 tier set up, but I'm getting impatient, so I will probably buy the mini WOO from ceramic grill store. I realize that I will have to cut the ribs into 2 or maybe 3 sections. My main question if anyone has done this is how do you maintain temp of the egg when you put a cold piece of meat on for an extended amount of time, or do you kind of guess??? It seems that everytime I put meet on and the dome reads 400 then it drops the temp to around 300ish for the rest of the cook. Obviously, I don't have to worry about that with my large. Thx in advance for the input. :)

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    what about using toothpicks to seperate them in a multi tier? (obviously after an indirect barrier below)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Check out this thread. Be sure to click on the link Faith posted there too. Lots of ideas and pics. Hope it helps!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&view=flat&id=1037920&catid=1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Are you cooking them on the mini because you need portability? Just a thought, but what about pre-cooking them on the large, and then just using the mini to reheat and finish?

...unless of course you just want to do a low n slow on the mini for the sport of it ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    I will be traveling a lot and won't be able to take both of my eggs, so I would not be able to cook them on the large before the mini :( Really just wanted to see if anyone has done it and how hard/easy it was.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Sounds like the perfect time to get a small! Heck, I managed to pack three full slabs of babybacks on my small ... just cut them in half, stacked them side by side (offsetting each layer 90 degrees), and rotated them throughout the cook.
    b1WEe.jpg
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    you look like a very busy grill
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Three pieces skewered to keep them somewhat seperated and used my Guru. The adaptor for the SBGE fits the Mini.

IMG_4940800x600.jpg

IMG_4943800x600.jpg
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Frank, Is that a pan under the ribs or a homemade platesetter?
    Hope you are looking better. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    That is a homemade platesetter made from 3/4" plate - I tossed it because it radiated too much heat.

I still look bad but that is normal for me :) Swelling is going down. People kept asking me why I was wearing sunglasses at work - told them it was for their protection. B)