Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

??? Small Egg temps

Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There have been discussion's regarding some people having trouble getting their small eggs to higher temp. (500 or higher???) Would those of you that use a small chime in with your eggsperiences???[p]Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• New Bob,
    i have trouble getting over 600 but i still have old ceramic grate in mine (too lazy to order up a cast iron one with the better airflow). .. if i want to nuke a steak in my small, i hold a small fan to the lower vent opening... .temp needle runs right off the scale while i do the searing thing on my steaks. ..as soon as i remove the fan, temps drop back down to around 600 again. ...

• New Bob,
    I have a small which has the new iron grate and have never had trouble getting to between 600 and 700 degrees. I have never tried to go hotter than that so any temp above 700 I can't address.
    CP

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    New Bob,
    I can easily cruise at 725°. Highest I've ever hit was about 815°. In order to achieve those levels you need to start with a full load of lump - about two inches below the grill and of course getting that level consumes most all of the lump. Little Humpty is suckin air like a jet at those levels and yes I do use a cast iron floor drain in place of the ceramic.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    I use my Guru fan to accomplish the same result in my small. I connect the probes and keep them outside the Egg. The Guru blows nonstop and the temperature needle goes off the scale. I use the same setup in my large, too.[p]****

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    New Bob,
    I did have some problems getting higher temp but I think two things came into play. My small is new and has the metal grate but I don't think I was putting enough lump in. I was only filling up to the holes in the firebox so there wasn't a very large fire heating that baby up. Also until recently I just closed the daisy wheel down to shut the fire and I think I was getting the lump a little damp when it rained. I now use the rain cap on both the small and the large and it seems to get much hotter faster.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    New Bob, no prob with 500 or 600 degrees
    Scott

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    New Bob,[p]We've never had any problem getting to high temps on ours, ceramic grate or metal one. It's my favorite cooker for searing steaks...[p]Tonia
    :~)