Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Huntsville and Whistlestop BBQ

Crimsongator
Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There is so much that still needs to be done for things to be back to normal here in Alabama. The outpouring of love through donations and volunteering has been nothing short of spectacular.

The decision has been made that the Whistlestop contest will go on as planned and the proceeds will be donated to the disaster relief efforts here. Heath and I had entered and have decided to cook this weekend in the shadetree competition. If anyone is close, stop by and see us. We will be at site #35 and looking forward to a relaxing weekend with our families.

You can follow us on Facebook by searching for "Heavy P BBQ"

Comments

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    :) Best of luck this weekend. Been watching for your posts and praying that you and yours are safe. Be well, and have a great time this weekend!
  • Crimsongator
    Thanks. The worst part of the storms were about 8 miles west of us and literally behind Rolling Egg's (Heath)house. Our power came back on Sunday evening about 9:30PM. The schools will not reopen until Thursday. We know many people that have been heavily affected and are feeling very fortunate. You saw Jojo's post about his wife's niece. There are many stories of people taking the appropriate precautions and were just in the wrong place. There are 3 or 4 communities that were literally wiped off the map. The power in these storms were very scary!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Gene: Have been watching to see you posting again, hope things are at least proceeding for those in AL, and many other hard hit southern states. Were you able to reach treilehe(sp?) and Rolling Egg? Hope all is well, and best wishes for a successful comp!
  • Crimsongator
    Yes, I talked to Heath and Graham (smokeyb). Heath talked to Tony and I messaged Tony today. And of course Ken is doing well.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Yea, I'm still alive and kickin. It was waaaayyy too close for comfort. On Wednesday afternoon at approx 3:05PM, an EF5 tornado touched down and traveled 132 miles, taking 26 peoples lives and destoying no telling how many homes. It traveled less than .25 miles behind my house, leveling my two neighboring subdivisions without even knocking over my trampoline. We were very fortunate. Our friends went into their hallway closet and came out without their home. Unbelievable. A very tough day and week for North Alabama.
    Like Gene said, we are looking forward to cooking this weekend, hanging out with old friends and making some new friends. Maybe some forum members will drop by. Hope to see some of you guys.
  • What are the details of the event? My dad is a new egghead and in the area and I'm sure he would like to come by.

Bruce
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Best of Luck Gene! so glad to see you guys were all OK. so sad to watch and not be able to do anything hands on to help.
    Now go kick some BBQ Butt!!!
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Hey Gene, Dollie and I enjoyed our visit with ya'll's family last week. I was gonna try to call you to see if you got to see the flood before you left but we got a call to come to Bryant Al for the funeral so we were gone early Saturday.

Good luck this weekend. ;)
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Glad you're OK. Several years age my brother in Huntsville had natural gas generators installed and got some good natured ribbing from a few neighbors.They have since asked for the name of the company that did the work. God Bless all those folks in need,Randy
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
  • Crimsongator
    Bruce, Whistlestop is a weekend concert series and KCBS BBQ contest. Generally, the proceeds go to the Early Works Children's Museum here in Huntsville. It is located on Church St downtown, right near I-565. They have a pro and shadetree comp. There will be all kind of food vendors as well. It is a fun social event but it also helps to know a team who is cooking. Our spot will be on site #35. It is right next to the pavilion in the middle of the property. Heath and I will be there all weekend. Tell your dad we will have XL, L and M eggs set up and likely a banner that says "America's Party Pros" They are a fest sponsor and the way we were able to enter. We would be happy to have him stop by and answer any questions he might have about all things egg.
  • PFSmith
    PFSmith Posts: 34
    I'm coming up from Birmingham Saturday to pick up some stuff from Chris at C&C Grillin' and to cheer on my friends at Jiggy Piggy in the pro division. I didn't apply to judge this year because I thought I would already be at a conference I'm attending next week, but I'm not heading out until Sunday. I'll look for you!

Pat
  • Crimsongator
    I met and talked to Bob Fite today. When you get to his spot, walk towards the turn in area. You will see a large pavilion where they are doing the kids-Q. We are the first spot on the south side of the pavilion. We have an orange and blue canopy. Stop by and say hi.