Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

food safety, hard boiled eggs

PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long can hard boiled eggs be kept in the refrigerator before getting bad?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I usually use them within 4-6 days, however I have been known to peel them, place in a container with salt and some vinegar and they last 3-4 weeks. Think pickled eggs.
  • PattyO
    I want to smoke them at an event, and I am leaving home five days prior to the fest. Just trying to have less to do at the prep party.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Richard,

Ahhh, pickled eggs, pigs feet, and pickled sausage. Eight or nine pints o' guinness and I am in
    heaven.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    These might be a better method for the party.

Appetizer, Eggs, Smoked, Deviled, Reg and Chuck

If you haven't done these yet you must give them a try. Someone awhile back (I think it was Reg) posted about smoking eggs. I thought he was kidding but my curiosity got the better of me. What could I lose? 89 cents worth of eggs? Anyhow they are fantastic.

Ingredients
    24 eggs (hard boiled)
    favorite rub (spicy)
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 tsp dry mustard
    2 TBS worchestershire sauce
    2 TBS vinegar

Procedure
    1 Boil and peel two dozen eggs,
    2 Roll three in rub. I use a spicy rub, Big Bubbas Rubba Chipotle. It adds a little kick to them.
    3 Place them all on an inverted plate setter covered in foil and smoke them at 200* or less, with a combination of apple and orange chips for about 90 minutes.
    4 I start out with a low, smoky fire (the C~W method) so the eggs are actually starting out in a 100* BGE. It then slowly climbs to 180* - 200* for the next 1/2 hour. I flip them once and take them out no longer than 1-1\2 hours.
    5 I usually rinse off the eggs after smoking them, it cleans them up a bit. They look pretty much like a brown egg. Don't rinse the rubbed ones, you want that rub in the filling.
    6 Chop up the three rubbed ones. Split the remaining eggs and add the other yolks. You can use your favorite Deviled Egg recipe if you desire. I use mayo, dry mustard, worchester, vinegar and usually a little more rub.
    7 Spoon the mixture into the cavity of the remaining egg halves and serve.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Author: Reg and Chuck

Source: BGE Forum, Reg and Chuck
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Little Steven wrote:
    Richard,

Ahhh, pickled eggs, pigs feet, and pickled sausage. Eight or nine pints o' guinness and I am in
    heaven.

Steve

a. you were not in heaven you gassed yourself into a coma.

b. i had 4 pints of guiness in Ireland.. and while i did not miss a single shot at the pool table and took money from the local ruffians, i could not stand on my own,, it was a great day .. 8 or 9 ? you are my hero
  • Richard Fl
    How is the knife project?
  • PattyO
    270', applewood, indirect, 20-30 mins. They turn dark amber. No waiting time to eat. I've made deviled eggs and egg salad, but will just cut in half for the fest, to demonstrate what the BGE can do. I'll hold this recipe for company. Thank you.
  • Little Steven
    We are built with a higher tolerance my dear friend :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lowercasebill
    will finish this week .. life kind of got in the way,, 2 computers at work died and so on... fun stuff put on hold ,, having trouble medicating ,, may have to resort to the year old cherries soaking in everclear and sugar
  • lowercasebill
    like hobitts ?
  • Little Steven
    Yes sort of. More like "The Terror of Tinytown" B)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lowercasebill
    great ... your built for guiness and i am built for scrapple want to trade ?
  • lowercasebill
    i wrestled at 60lbs in 7th 80lbs in 8th and 102 in 10th 45 years later ,, 140 .. on a good day .
  • Little Steven
    I was 116 in grade 11

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    PattyO: Totally in compliance in food service to boil and hold one week, provided they are maintained at a temperature of 41* or less. If they go out of temp, get rid of 'em. Probably easier to transport boiled, in shell, packed in ice, then peel on site, but a warning that they will be a b!!ch to peel. Just make sure you maintain the temp below 41*, and all will be well.
  • lowercasebill
    good lessons that big people never learn though
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Eggs raw are good for weeks

Same for cooked.
    Remember, your fridge temps are designed to keep bacterial action to a minimum. Cooking the raw eggs makes them even safer

Way way way longer than five days
    Can't think of a food that becomes unsafe in five days in a fridge
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I have kept them 3 weeks with no problems.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    LC,

Our easter eggs that hung around for at least a week peeled like little dreams for me. I also used your boiling method and NO green ;)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Rip: Green Yolks = :sick::sick: for me anyways! And in all honesty, I think I learned that method from Americas Test Kitchen!! I can't take credit where it is not due! I can be a messenger though...