Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank Steak Marinate?

Options
Bear 007
Bear 007 Posts: 383
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a flank steak tomorrow, I was wondering if someone might have a good marinate recipe?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Flank or skirt are very similiar. This was an eggcellent meal at the fest.

Beef, Skirt, Steak, W/ Chimichurri Sauce, Smokin J

Marinade and Steak by Jamey Williford (Smokin J) and Chimmichurri Sauce by Kirk Debaets

INGREDIENTS:
    5 lbs Skirt Steak
    3/4 cup Canola Oil
    1 cup minced Garlic
    3 tsp ground Cumin
    1/2 cup Soy Sauce
    3/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
    1 1/2 cups Pineapple Juice
    Chimichurri Sauce:
    2 cups fresh Oregano
    2 cups fresh Italian Parsley
    1/4 cup fresh Cilantro
    1/2 cup Heinz Red Wine Vinegar
    1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
    Up to 1 cup of Water
    1/2 Lime, juiced
    6 cloves of peeled Garlic
    2 tsp crushed Red Pepper

PROCEDURE:
    1 Mix together canola oil, minced garlic, ground cumin, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and pineapple juice in a bowl. Place skirt steak in 2 Gallon Ziploc bag and add mixed Marinade in Ziploc bag and place in refrigerator for 36-48 hours.
    2 Prepare green egg for direct cooking method using cast iron grate. Preheat egg to 475-500°F.. Just prior to putting steaks on, add 3 citrus wood chunks and 3 cherry wood chunks for enhanced flavor. Cook steaks for 2 minutes per side and they will come out medium to medium rare depending on the thickness. Take steaks off the grill and tent them with aluminum foil. Let steaks rest for 10 minutes prior to serving. Cut steaks and serve with chimichurri sauce or without. They are great either way.cherry wood chunks for enhanced flavor. Cook steaks for 2 minutes per side and they will come out medium to medium rare depending on the thickness. Take steaks off the grill and tent them with aluminum foil. Let steaks rest for 10 minutes prior to serving. Cut steaks and serve with chimichurri sauce or without. They are great either way.
    Chimichurri Sauce
    1 Combine all contents in food processor and pulse until blended well. Consistency you are looking for is such that it will not run off of steak. Add water as needed to loosen consistency. Adjust ingredients to your preference. This recipe is heavy on the garlic. Refrigerate until ready for steaks.

Yield: 10 people as a main course

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Jamey Williford (Smokin J)

Source: Sunshine State Florida Fest '11, Smokin J, 2011/04/09
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Flank Steak Marinade

2 C cloudy orange French dressing
    1/2 C lemon juice
    3/4 C soy sauce
    1/4 C Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 C yellow mustard
    1 clove crushed garlic or equivalent garlic pd.

Shake well. Cut very shallow X's in steak against the grain.
    Marinate meat overnight in about 1/2 C of this sauce.
    Refrigerate remaining sauce in a glass jar.
    This is a good seasoning on burgers, either in the ground meat or as a BBQ sauce.
    Also good as seasoning on leftover meat sliced thinly and sautéed.
    Good for chicken BBQ too.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 383
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys, still not sure what one to use, Cary's Marinated Flank steak sounds good too.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hey Tim, my Easter Eggsperiment was a little on the wild side but good, Teriyaki Tangerine Flank Steaks. Leftovers with a brown gravy were very nice. LOL, strange but true! This was the first time I cut the flank steaks to the size you see on the egg. I cut them into 3-4" steaks so they would soak up the marinade better. I can only guess that it helped and would try it again.

Teriyaki Sauce is probably one of the simplest and is good. A friend of mine recommends Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing which sounds very good to me as you can select the vinegar and oil that you make the dressing out of to make a flavor all your own. A good red wine vinegar and good extra virgin olive oil would be very good I think. There are many different flavored vinegars and quality of oils to experiment with. That will probably be my next eggsperiment!

Teriyaki Sauce is strong and takes less time to marinade, any where from 30 minutes might do, it all depends on how strong a flavor you wish. The Good Seasons dressing can go 24 hours. I have not tried it yet but would think it would be pretty flexible, where it is not as strong I would go longer.

Good luck, looking forward to your flank steak post. :)

Blair

• Jfroe
    Jfroe Posts: 4
    Options
    I use Hoisin sauce (chinese dipping sauce) and let it marinate for 24 hours. Cook at about 375 Deg. until the meat is 140 Deg. Don't over cook! Thinly slice cross grain on an angle.

I've had nothing but compliments. Simple, but a sure thing.