Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Weed Burner??

wmd36
wmd36 Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am sold that I need a weed burner to get my EGG fired up the quickest way. Which model to you guys like the best?? Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I got the one without the push button ignition. If i did it over I'd get that push button lighter model and enjoy it till it breaks. Worth the 10 dollars in my opinion. Finding a lighter to light the lighter is a choir sometimes...... :whistle:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    pick one, i abuse mine, the ignitor wouldnt stand up for me if i had the option

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=weed+burner
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    I second looking for a model with an ignition switch. I recently bought a new one as my previous one broke on me. The new one is made by Benzomatic and seems much sturdier than the previous one -- the previous one like the very first one I bought suffered from a fragile bit that fits into the propane bottle.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• eggcipient
    eggcipient Posts: 8
    I like this one, don't have the big tank to haul around. Very portable
    http://www.harrietcarter.com/lawn-garden_gardening-tools/garden-torch/
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    I picked this one up at Lowe's and I am extremely happy with it. It uses the 1lb containers, has a started on the side of the tube, and is long enough to reduce the sparks hitting my shirt and causing tiny holes. And the best part is that it doubles as a crutch if I am over served. :laugh:

010-1.jpg
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    I never thought of getting a weed torch. I use a MAPP gas torch that I used when I was putting copper pipe in my house. It pretty quick and efficient.

I can't think of anything, but are there issues with using a torch like this (e.g. is it going to break the egg or anything like that)?

*edit*
    Oh I do like the torch in the photo above. I have had the occasional pop and sizzle on the shirt/seal. I'll have to see if my Lowes carries those.

Ted
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    I have the one from harbor freight. I love it! I have been using it for a little less than a year. Mine has the push button ignitor and the turbo lever. Don't ever hit the turbo when you are lighting the egg :lol: I believe they had a coupon on the internet a couple of days ago and it was less than $20 bucks. I got mine for about $17 with a coupon. It is a very efficient and quick way to light the egg. I started off using the starter cubes and those were too expensive. Definitely get some googles or glasses for when you light it because the lump will pop at you sometimes.
  • Austin Egger
    I've used a MAPP torch a couple of times but the flame that I was using wasn't very wide, so it took me longer than the width of the flame from the weedburner. I haven't seen anything negative from using the weedburner except that you have to be careful when you are lighting because some of the lump will pop at you. I don't have any cracks or anything in the egg from the heat. I might have a burn hole or 2 in my shirts though. :laugh:
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You can use coupon code SHOP20 at HF to get 20% off ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jerzee
    Jerzee Posts: 84
    I have the one from harbour freight too. Cheap and does the job perfectly.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Got the same one Austin Egger got and less than $20... Use it for both the Large and Small. Cannot bring myself to try with the mini, save the mapp for it :laugh:
    photo-10-3.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin Egger
    Hey Mickey, I've been using it on the mini too! I just use it on a low flow setting. The handle sure gets hot quickly though. I usually have to put on a glove to lower the lid :laugh:
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Harbor Freight. The igniter only lasted 2 times then broke. I would get the plain one and buy an extra bag of lump with the savings. Have mine about 3 years now. Once you go weed burner, you never go back. B)
  • That looks just like mine. I like how long it is, and how portable it is. Only problem I've had is at -30 sometimes the igniter switch sticks.

Doug
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    I'm not sure I would work at -30 degrees!! :laugh:
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    I have had no issues whatsoever using the weed torch. As Austin Egger says, you get a much wider flame so a quicker light. When my previous one broke, I had to use a MAPP torch until I found a replacement.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I got one from Harbor Freight with the pushbutton ignitor.I LOVE it.