Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

turkey

Options
MadMax
MadMax Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife Just bought fresh 11# turkey,
She was going to put in oven Duh!!!Why not on egg.
Can anybody help with real quick way to ge on egg because time is runnin out?? Temp,breast side up? over drip pan,
I might have bge turkey sitter if i can find it or jus on v rack. how long do you do per pound? checked archives real
quick but not much help
Please Help or its the oven
Thanks MadMax

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    MadMax,
    This is a recipe Mary posted,it's close to the way i cook one.
    YB

[ul][li]Mary's Garlic Turkey[/ul]
  • Anthony Up North
    Options
    MadMax,[p]There is a simple recipe in BGE book that came with Humpty (p. 29). I haven't tried it, but from my experience with roasting turkeys, I think they underestimate the time considerably. I would rely on a thermometer.[p]Good Luck.[p]Anthony Up North

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    MadMax,
    Char-Woody just passed on this link to me. It seems wonderful!!!! It explains much about Qing and describes the entire Turkey cooking process. Thank Char-Woody for the Link, and Dan for sharing his experience.
    http://www.dannysbbq.com/meats.asp[p]Good Cooking.
    Anthony Up North[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MadMax, It sounds like time is short and maybe the oven is the way to go for a quick nonchalant turkey. :-(
    The real way to go would be to brine it overnight, then towel dry it, inside and outside, then refrigerate it "bare" in the refigerator overnight. This will dry out the moisture from the outer skin. Helps in making a crispy skin texture. (Cooks Illusrated article)
    Then mix up your seasonings, rubs, ect. Best to work it under the skin as far as small hands can reach thru the neck and lower cavities. For a big bird, I split the breast skin all the way, work the paste or rubs all over thru the leg joints..and then carefully restitch the skin back in place with bamboo pins. This preserves the moisture in the breast tissues. I usually stuff with oranges/apples..ect. Other's differ. (See Geoff's Turkey Buzzard recipe in the archives)
    Lastly, coat the exterior of the bird with fine grade olive oil, and cook at around 350 degees allowing approx. 20 minutes per lb. 180 degrees in the thigh, 170 minutes in the breast. I keep my bird suspended on a second grill about 4 inches above the drip pan. Flat on its back. Others do em ..breast side down, but hard to do on a flat grill. Use a V rack if thats your choice. I find my birds still so juicy they oooooz when sliced.
    Enjoy......Char-Woody[p]