Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions on the Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First off, let me say that I'm 25 and the only grilling experience I have is a cheap gas grill I used for tailgate parties. With that said, I love barbeque and I want to start learning to make my own. Several people recommended the Egg to me, so I have a few basic questions I would like to ask.[p]1. What size should I get? The largest group I'll ever fix for will probably be 15.[p]2. What price should I expect to pay for a Medium? Large?[p]3. Is there that big of a difference in the size of a Medium and Large?[p]4. Is the Egg a good grill/smoker to learn on and grow with?[p]5. How much stuff does the Egg come with? Will I have spend a lot for extra accesories?[p]I appreciate any other info you might have for me. Thanks in advance, and sorry if you see two messages on this. The first one didn't show up, so I think I might a messed up somewhere while trying to post it.[p]Jack

Comments

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Jack Voxx,[p]1) Size. Depends. most folks would say get a large (not an xl) but I've been darned happy with my medium too. You can get all the same accessories for the medium, that you can get for the large (I think).[p]2)Don't know where you're at, but you can pick up a large at the eggfest in Waldorf Md for a decent price (just over 5 hundred I think, although I'm not 100% sure). I think you could also go to one of the other eggfests and get a decent price. For my meduim,at a local store I paid 500. For some reason I see a pretty big difference in prices from dealer to dealer. I think the large at a decent dealer is somewhere in the 700 mark, but you should do some research to make sure.
    3)The actual grill size between the medium and large is not all that big, however, if you stack the meat on different levels (such as real bbq'ing..briskets, butts..etc) ,you can fit much more on the large..due to its large dome.
    4)The egg is a very good grill and smoker to learn on, fairly easy to learn and get good at quickly, but of course this here forum is the best way to learn anything about how to use the egg.
    5)Accessories...hmm..you could go nuts with them. I would say a plate setter at least, and a table..or a set of eggmates and a nest is awful handy to have. Some bbq tools from the master hisself Lawn Ranger are pretty cool too..but you don't really NEED any of the additional accessories. The egg can be used as is, as long as it comes with the daisy wheel top (which I think most do nowadays anyway). You will need some lump charcoal though..for sure. The accessories just add a bit of convenience. Once you get the egg, it's only a matter of time before you'll probably want at least some of the accessories..think a plate setter is something like 35 bucks, which I would just get when you buy the egg.[p]StumpBaby

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    you get hit in the 'ead or sumpin?
    this derfinitely aint yer normalish post.
    HS

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Jack Voxx,[p]Looks like Stump answered your questions. I'll throw my two cents in... I am just a couple of years older than you are and love the egg. I had a good background in outdoor cooking before the egg, but the egg made EVERYTHING better. It really did. There is a learning curve with ceramic cookers, but the information and support this forum provides is amazing. You will be "practicing" with the egg all the time. The flexiability of the Big Green Egg is one of the best selling points. IMHO you cannot ever outgrow the BGE. Stump's suggestion of getting a platesetter is dead on![p]Steve-B
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    HolySmokes,
    I'll AMEN that! I like Stump the other way better!
    Hammer[p]

• David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    Jack Voxx,[p]I've only had my egg 3 months, but i'll throw my 2 cents in...[p]1). Buy the large. If you want to make brisket or pulled pork - the charcoal capacity of the Large is a real plus. If your grilling steaks for 15, you'll appreciate the 18.5" diameter cooking surface[p]2). Shop around - but for a large you'll be around $700-$800 by the time you buy all your accessories.[p]3). Yes - the Large is much better for big groups - spend the extra $$[p]4). I read on this forum once that someone said "the smell coming from the egg is so good it has raised the property values in the neighborhood". It'll be the best investment you have ever made. I am 41 and wasted money on 3 gas grills in the last 15 years including a Ducane. The egg will last 50+ years. I have essentially bought mine twice....ugh.[p]5). Stumpbaby is right - the plate setter is a must. I bought a $20 utility table (2x3) at the BJ's Wholesale Club instead of the nesting side table for $80. Electric Charcoal Starter is nice to have ($15). Foil drip pans ($10 @BJs for 20 of them). Natural Lump Charcoal is a must. Big Green Pizza Stone is cool - $20. Plastic cover for the egg is good to have for us in Snow Country ($35).[p]You won't regret the purchase![p]Good Luck

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    Jack Voxx,[p]I think Large...[p]Not a big difference between medium and large but it depends on your definition of "big", again, I say Large...[p]BGE is great to both learn and grow with, as in, until your 80![p]BGE comes with the very basics so I'd say $100 will cover the items you MUST have (platesetter, pizza stone, wireless thermometer if smoking 10 hrs+) to begin with...[p]You can spend a ton on extras but they don't allow you to do things you couldn't do otherwise they just might not be as convenient...[p]Good Luck and Welcome![p]B o B
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    Obviously, Aliens have taken the real Paul Bouchard and left this impersonator.:) I suspected all along you had multiple personalities.[p]Your Friend,
    Sybil.

• SmokinBoB, "your 80" what? Do you mean you're 80? If so, what's limiting about 80?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    StumpBaby, YOU BETTER HAVE A DESIGNATED DRIVER TONIGHT!!! You be makin 2 much cents!
    OH...My...GAWD - has someone "Stump"napped our Stump???

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fire in the Hole
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]Hey! What did you do with the REAL StumpBaby?!?[p]Next thing you know Donald Sutherland will come walking around the corner. Something's just not quite right about this ...

• egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    Jack Voxx,
    I've had my large since July and a small since September, a perfect combo.
    In those few months I have made some outstanding meals on the eggs, even below zero in the dead of winter. I'm getting a reputation amongst family, friends, and now workmates.
    Someone mentioned the smell, well the first pulled pork I made was amazing. I actualy left the house @ 8:30am with the egg running around 225. I didn't get home until 6pm and before we even opened the car doors, we could smell the piggy, I'm sure the neighbors could smell it all day. [p]Get the large, platesetter, ash tool, grid extenders, thermo pen, remote termometer, pizza stone, pizza peel, etc. Lawn Ranger makessome neat custome tools too.[p]Oh yeah, get a digital camera so you can join the dork club (that's what the wives say) and take pictures of every step when cooking on the egg and post them here for all to see. [p]One more thing, go to The Naked Whiz's site, he has some items for sale over there....I think I saw a thong, don't know if I'd grill wearing a thong...but he has them.