Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stone Cabinets and grout

Options
hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I am in the middle of an outdoor kitchen build and came home to find that the stone counter tops were completed and that the stone guys had already placed the Egg into its new home and grouted it in. I'm wondering if the grout can withstand the heat?
IMAG0295.jpg

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    It will probably crack over time, but my bigger concern would be will I have to mess up the beautiful top if I ever need to remove the BGE? Nice Job!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I would be more concerned about possible damage to the EGG. Maybe some others with more knowledge of the characteristics of ceramic will chime in or it might be worth a call to the Mothership. No sense taking a chance.
    BTW, that is going to be one beautiful setup :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Why would you want the egg permanently installed in a countertop. Ditch the grout - before you ever light the egg. Different rates of expansion will crack something... most likely the egg. imho. Plus, what if you want to remove the egg? Even if it hasn't already cracked, you won't be able to.

Looks like a great setup, but lose the grout. Leave some space between egg and stone.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Looks like what they did to my neighbor's egg.. His has been that way for about 2-3 yrs and hasn't cracked... Still, I agree that it doesn't make much sense.

Beautiful outdoor kitchen by the way!!!!!!
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    Is the grout right up to and tight against the Egg? I would leave a little room for expansion, could caulk around the Egg and cabinet top if you want to seal.
  • hizzoner
    Options
    It's already done......the mason grouted all the way up to the Egg. They even grouted the base of the Egg ot the stone beneath it. It looks great!

If there is a need to remove it, I will. If it is going to crack soon, I will remove it. If it won't harm anything and there is a good chance that it won't crack and break up, I'll leave it.
  • cuangler
    cuangler Posts: 22
    Options
    My girlfriend's father has a Primo :evil: grouted into his outdoor fire place and hasn't has any issues with it.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    I'm more amazed that the crew did more work than they were supposed to. :laugh:

Nice kitchen.

Ted
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Options
    I hope it can. That looks like an impressive outdoor kitchen.
  • hizzoner
    Options
    Cooked steaks night before last.....so far so good.
  • sew quik
    sew quik Posts: 25
    Options
    My 2 large eggs are grouted in to a flagstone outdoor kitchen and have been for 2 years. No issues to date with expansion/cracking. I am not convinced that ceramic Egg expands that much with heating. The grout will crack before the Egg does. I worried about this but it has not been a problem. Good luck and happy grilling.