Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Australian/New Zeland Trip BBQ Observations

Hammer
Hammer Posts: 1,001
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife and I returned yesterday from Australia and New Zeland; visited a lot of wineries; eat a lot of food including Kanagarro; climbed the Sydney Bridge; visited in a lot of homes; restaurants etc; and it became quickly apparent that there was little evidence of Q anywhere. No Q joints; no Q on menu's; and in the homes I visited limited presence of any type grills and no smokers at all.
I asked the questions about Q, but there was limited interest. I talked about the BGE, and I have E-mailed some information to several folks there. They were fascinated about the BGE, and how it worked.
Who knows we may start a BGE cult over there. I have seen on the forum, posts from there, but not on a regular basis.
Intresting World!
Hammer

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Hammer,
    Mitch: Good to see you're still kicking. Welcome home, Man![p]Mike

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Hammer,[p]Dang Mitch, you retire and you get all scarce on us.... glad to see you back.[p]I imagine you were drawn to Austrailia and New Zealand for the vineyards?
    What is kangaroo like? ... and please don't tell me chicken![p]John

• Hammer
    WooDoggies,
    John, the ROO was outstanding. Very little fat; well textured; and full of flavor. I tried ROO steaks; filets; and in different cassaroles, as well as an appetizer. It apparently is very versatile.
    The Australians have a problem with overpopulation of the Kangarros, and welcome hunters to help them control the "thinning of the herd".
    It was a great trip, and the wines both in Australia and New Zeland were outstanding. The Roo went well with Shiraz, and Pinot Noir.
    Glad to hear from you!
    Mitch

• Hammer
    Lawn Ranger,
    Thanks Mike! Glad to be home again. They sure could use some Lawn Ranger Tools over there1
    Mitch

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Hammer,[p]Did you see any cans of RooAway (canned marsupial farts)?[p]Just wondering..always thought that would be a fun thing to have...[p]StumpBaby

• Hammer
    StumpBaby,
    Not on this trip. We hope to go back in the next six(6) months or so, and I'll look for a can for you Stump! Imagine the fun and stories that you can tell then if I find it. It'll kind of make you remember one of your relatives I'm sure.
    Good to hear from you!
    Mitch

• Parrothead
    Parrothead Posts: 101
    Hammer,
    If my memory serves me correctly, i believe there was an Aussie Hugh who used to post here. Although, I have not seen him post in a while. I checked the profiles and couldn't find him.
    I can't say too much since I lurk more than I post!![p]Wobbly pops to ya![p]Chris

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • Hammer,[p]Glad you enjoyed your trip to Oz and NZ, and arrived back home safely.[p]What you folks call grilling is what we in Oz call BBQing, and while smoking is not at all popular, grilling is. It is very common for a group to get together over a few cold frosty ones or plonk and light up the BBQ. Gas is the go down here, grill hoods for roasting are becoming popular. In the charcoal front the Weber reigns supreme and also Hibachi. The large BGE is the only ceramic cooker available and is very expensive (I had to do quite a bit of soul searching before I slapped down the $ at BBQ Galore). Ironically the K. is manufactured just across the way in Indonesia but they go straight to USA.[p]Charcoal is limited to red gum although I think the commercial charcoal chicken joints also have access to mangrove (which I understand is not very environmentally friendly). There are no commercial wood chunks, only chips for smoking. And no Dizzy or other Q sauces you lot talk about. But there are plenty of trees and there is nothing magical about chunks (i.e., you can get it yourself if you are keen enough).[p]I am always interested in trying to contact other Aussie BGE owners but so far I have only come across about 5.[p]My poor old humpty has not had a fire in its belly for ages as we have fire restrictions in summer. However I have tracked down a work mate who has a stone fruit tree (peach I think, I must ask him tomorrow) and I obtained a dead branch from it that I will cut up for chunks.[p]So to all you eggers, come on down, enjoy what Oz and NZ have to offer and spread the BGE gospel.[p]BTW, for Christmas I was given a rib rack. I have yet to use it and the choices of methods are bewildering.[p]Cheers,
    Hugh.

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Hammer,[p]When I was last in Sydney, the BBQs Galore sold BGE's. I'm surprised that there aren't more aussies here.[p]I met some people there who invited me over to eat sushi, and grill up som shikabob's(sp?) at their house. You can go by fresh salmon at the fish market, and it goes really well with some grilled food. It was a gas grill though.[p]
  • Hammer
    Aussie_Hugh,
    Australia and New Zeland is a great place to visit, and from all indications a great place to live. The folks in both of these countries are very oro-American, and make you feel welcome.
    Now, if we could only get more Eggers there,easier acess to BGE'S, and lump charcoal,it would be even more enjoyable, at least from my perspective. There was a lot of interest in the BGE from the folks I talked with. Who knows, just a matter of time, I hope.
    Just curious, what does a BGE sell for there? Thanks for the reply!
    Mitch (Hammer)[p]

• Hammer,[p]I am not sure what they sell for now days. I think the one I got was about $1,300 AUD a couple of years ago. BBQ Galore do not move a lot.[p]What you say is right and I am glad you were made to feel welcome both in Australia and NZ. My family has been threatening to visit NZ for a few years and I think that this will be the year so I am looking forward to seeing NZ.[p]Now if all the eggers on this forum could encourage a few more Aussie & NZ eggers ......