Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket like a butt

Options
Jimcco
Jimcco Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done many butts that turned out very well on a large

Was given a 3 1/2 lb flat of brisket. After reading Many of the brisket threads I wondered if brisket can be rolled with included bacon to get the fat content up so it can be slowed and cooked at 150 +_ more like a butt. Just asking.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    If you cook it at 150 it will never get done. I assume you meant 250 dome or if not that is what you should be cooking it at. It is small so maybe wrapoping it in foil would be warranted until internal meat temp is around 180 to 195. Stick a fork in it when it nears completion. If it slides in easily and can be twisted with little resistance it is done.
  • Jimcco
    Options
    Actually I wasn't thinking; I ment 200deg. That's where I overnight a butt. Low & slow over a plate setter & that's what I wanted to try with a rolled up brisket.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    A 200 dome temp will not get you to the finish line for a butt or brisket. The grill temp is around 25 degrees less then the dome. Furthermore, there is a much greater chance of your fire going out trying to maintain a 200 dome temp where a 250 dome temp is much less likely to go out and will provide the heat needed to reach a meat temp of 190. For the life of me I don't understand why everyone wants to cook at too low of temps...it takes long enough at 250!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you don't need to roll up the brisket. brisket does well all on its own.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jimcco
    Options
    Read Elder Ward's pulled pork instructions on this forum. I have done it that way for 8-9 years. It over nights at 195-200 deg dome over a plate setter and has no problem getting to 200 deg by 4-5pm never once had a fire go out.