Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Temp for pizza ?

Snickers
Snickers Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What temp for cookong pizza ?

Thanks !

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    350/550/750/900/1200 :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    WFO (Whiskey-Foxtrot-Oscar)!!
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    That is correct if you want that style of pizza..

Incorrect if you want a deep dish...American style, California...Cracker..Neapolitan.
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    It depends on what style you prefer. If you want a heavier american-style pie with a thicker crust and lots of ingredients you may want to go 450 to 500. If you want more of a Flourentine-style pizza, with a thin, crispy crust and fewer ingredients you'd want to go 650-750, or even higher.

Also, it seems like the consensus set-up (as far as there can be a consensus around here) is the plate-setter legs down, your original 3 BGE ceramic feet and a pizza stone.

BTW, if you go with that set-up and hit 700 or higher, kiss your gasket goodbye. Mine fried the first time I tried this but its absence has no affect on my cooking.

good luck!
  • icemncmth
    Actually you kind of need to tell us what "style" of pizza you like.

It really does make a difference.

I can get crazy technical on making pizza so let just start out with something simple. Who makes a pizza you like?
  • icemncmth
    yep and ditch the BGE Stone for one that is larger.

I use empty soup cans to put my stone higher in the dome..or copper pipe.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Your right the poster needs to be more specific. :)
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    JohnB wrote:

BTW, if you go with that set-up and hit 700 or higher, kiss your gasket goodbye. Mine fried the first time I tried this but its absence has no affect on my cooking.

good luck!

Are you saying that cooking pizza's with the plate setter and the bge stone @ 700 or higher will roast your gasket?

How do you cook pizza's in the BGE without having to replace the gasket?

Ted
  • icemncmth
    Heck I cooked without a gasket for years. I just got around to replacing mine!

Now I do like to cook my pizza on the high temp side.

As for burning the gasket I have over the years run several tests and one thing is for sure is you can fry a gasket pretty quickly even if you are cooking at 600 degs.

I have seen people's eggs that have never been cleaned or burned out and the inside of the dome is covered with grease, oil etc then they go to burn out the egg. The grease starts to melt and runs down the inside of the egg and soaks the gasket. Then as the temp rises so does the oil temp and eventually you will case the oil to fry the felt gasket causing it to become either hard as a rock or melt the glue and fall off...

If you raise the pizza stone higher that that gasket than you won't fry it. I have done pizzas at over 1000 deg and didn't fry my gasket..
  • Snickers
    I like thin, crispy crust.
  • Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    I just did pizzas last night. (1st time on BGE...2nd ever cook on my new BGE) Used Reinhart's neo-neapolitan dough recipe, which I highly recommend. Used the plate setter legs down and pizza stone directly on top of that. Heated the egg to 650 dome temp.

Made some of the best crust that I've ever had. Very, very good. My gasket did start to melt, which kinda irked me being only my 2nd cook, but I'm not too worried about it. I figure I'll cook on it quite awhile longer before I replace the gasket.

Speaking along those lines though; is there any real big drawback to cooking without a gasket or cooking with one that's damaged? I suspect that a small amount of heat may escape, right? Are temps as easy to regulate without a gasket or with a damaged one?
  • Snickers
    500-550 will have to do.

I don't feel like melting my gasket. Not worth it for 1 meal !
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I let the egg roll at full throttle for a while to get it burning clean prior to the cook, then I drop it back to about 500 for the cook.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    If (fill in blank) degrees is right for the job of producing the result you are seeking, doesn’t it make more sense to go with that temp regardless of w/n it melts a cheap, replaceable & arguably irrelevant gasket? Properly cooked food repeatedly for the rest of your days on this planet certainly outweighs preservation of a strand of felt doesn’t it?

In the end the temp you settle on may in fact not be one that repeatedly melts gaskets, but beginning this particular adventure constrained by such worries will not be helpful
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Don't get caught up in the whole "your gasket is most definitely going to melt if you dare hit XXX° no matter what" because it is all based on anecdotal BS.

For every person that says, "my gasket burned at XXX°" there are dozens if not hundreds (maybe thousands) of users that have gaskets that do not melt at that temp. Gasket damage is more a result of improper alignment (and a phase of manufacture where a bad adhesive was used) than of any particular temperature.

I've taken my eggs well above the 700° mark - rolled the thermo around and beyond the readable range, and have yet to melt a gasket (save one I did intentionally, but that's a story for another day).

I'm not saying yours won't have a problem, but no one can say for certain that it will. It's a crap shoot. Good luck, and like zippy says - it just doesn't matter. Enjoy your food.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I load mine heavy with toppings and have found the best results cooking at 400 dome for around 30 minutes.
  • Cooked my first pizzas the other night at 500 degrees and the only advise I would give you is to make sure the pizza stone is up to temp to get the bottom of the crust to brown properly. other than that best pizza I have ever made bar none. they were a medium thick crust.