Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

20 Hr Butt Roast question

SnickersSnickers Posts: 50
edited 4:11PM in EggHead Forum
If I do a 20 hour , non smoke, butt roast, will it have that black coating on the outside ?

My neighbor wants me to do one for her, but she wants no smoke used.

Thanks !

• Tell her to put it in the oven.

She's wanting you to defeat the entire reason for the BGE.

• transversaltransversal Posts: 719
    I have yet to add any wood chips for smoking purposes to anything I've done in the BGE. My family loves the flavor of the lump charcoal and is not real fond of smoking woods. I get some bark, but probably not as much as with heavier smoke from smoking woods.
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Snickers, Cook a butt, for her using no spices or sugar and add no flavor wood. Make sure you let the egg burn off any bad smoke before you put the butt in the egg. You may want to get a bag of Cowboy lump to use for the cook but, make sure you fill you egg up with lump to the top of the fire ring. May be give her a sample if you have any left over.

I know when you say cook it for 20 hours keep in mind you cook it for as long as it takes to get it to pulling temperature 195F - 200F internal meat temp.

She may not like it. Just do the best you can. :)
  • SnickersSnickers Posts: 50
    THANKS !!
  • All great advise. And as stated with the BGE you are cooking to temp and not time. That was my biggest adjusment to make. Temp NOT Time.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    why not just do it in the oven? seriously?

the black isn't from smoke, anyway
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    A crockpot might do, also....
    The Naked Whiz