Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need to convince the Maytag Man on egg capacity

walrusegger
walrusegger Posts: 314
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, eggers let's convert another one. One of the guys in my biannual golf trip is THE Maytag Man. He's likes to bbq and but is a weber bullet guy. Well, he drools at some of the pics I put on Facebook which brought on some back and forth...but this was his last comment. I don't think I'll have any problem answering his questions except where he talks about capacity. I typically don't do large cooks and don't have all the accessories for such, but he does. I'll mention there's an XL, but it seems the large like I have is more practical and has more accessories out there. See below what he wrote and help me respond. BTW, the stuff he smokes is really good now, he knows what he's doing.

k, need to be sold on it. You have seen the bullet used and know how good the food is, how good the smoke ring and flavor can be, that it can cook for up to 20 hours on one load of charcoal and just how disgusting the clean up is....water pan filled with fat and the over all filth of the process.

How is there no clean up on an egg? How long can it cook? Ease of temp control? Capacity...this is where I think the egg loses...I can do six racks, or two briskets or four 8 lb butts.

Right now I smoke to entertain. I think yours maybe easier because you seem to use it more for day to day. I like that idea.

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    In my dark, ignorant, pre-egg days, I was a Weber guy.
    I owned a Smokey Mountain unit for a long time, and was pretty satisfied with it (except for thenasty clean-up). Then, enter the EGG! Absolutely no comparison! Give me EGGerty or give me McDonalds!
    :blink:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • With a large and an adjustable rig, I did 6 8 pound Butts. Two 13 pound briskets are easy or 4 if your willing to split them point from flat. Using the extender I could do 9 racks if it ever came up.

Doing a low and slow like that some have made 36 hours on one load of charcoal, 24 is regular.

Temperature control is not easy to learn but once you have it is trivial.

Doug
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey walrus,I think that if he does mostly/many large cooks,the XL is probably right up his alley.There are many accessories for the XL also,but for 4 butts,2 briskets,or 6 racks of ribs,they aren't needed :) Here's 6 butts on my XL(a cook that I have done many times)with just a platesetter,drip pan,and a small grid.....

DSC_0031-6.jpg

DSC_0044-5.jpg

DSC_0056-3.jpg

After this cook(22 hrs total),all I did was remove the foil from the drip pan and toss it.Then I just opened the vents to burn the crud off.There was plenty of lump left for this,so I would guess that there was enough lump to cook for 30+ hrs at 250*(although I can't imagine why you would need to)Here's the crud

DSC_0088-4.jpg

and the burn off....

DSC_0030-4.jpg

DSC_0031-5.jpg

DSC_0040-2.jpg

Then the shut down(after the fire department showed up) :lol:

DSC_0044-4.jpg

As for the ribs,I like to cook them laying flat,but with a rib rack you can easily get 6 racks on the XL.Here's 6 racks on mine with just the platesetter and a homemade raised grid,again,very few accesories,and plenty of room.

DSC_0029-5.jpg

DSC_0030-6.jpg

With some accesories from here http://ceramicgrillstore.com/ you can do a whole lot more :woohoo: