Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs: 1st slow cook Help

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my XL EGG for almost 2 years and haven't done a Low and Slow.
I am doing Spare Ribs. The Ribs are rubbed with one half JL Henry's Pecan Rub and the other half Bone Sucking Sauce Rub. I have cleaned out the EGG and put in fresh Lump.

I usually light the lumo in the middle and around a few places. Would I light differently with Slow cook ? Wood chunk, how many ? I plan on using Pecan. I do have cherry, apple, and hickory Any others I want to add ?

I know 250 Dome Temp.

Any advice will help.

Thank you.

Gary

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    light it in 3 or places, let it stabilize, then go for it.

i would add a good size chunk (baseball size or so) of pecan and a similar size chunk of apple.
  • EGGARY
    Options
    JUST one of each ?
  • Fidel
    Options
    should be enough. put one chunk of each directly on the spots you have lit once they are burning good. should give you plenty of smoke.
  • EGGARY
    Options
    I figure I need a Drip Pan. With or without Liquid ? Anything Special ?

Thanks again.

Gary
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Gary, Fidel and all the others taught me how to smoke ribs. Of course everyone does it a little different and have a little different results. Here is a past post I cooked using spare ribs. Don't go by time (some say they go 6 or 7 hours) go by doneness desired.

Try a bit. :P

Use a tooth pick.

Pick them up with your tongs.

All are great methods.

Some use foil.

Some sauce at the end...Tim :)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=892586&catid=1
  • Fidel
    Options
    you don't need a drip pan, and certainly don't need to add any liquid. at most, cover your platesetter with a little foil to keep it from getting nasty. ribs don't let off enough drippings to call for a pan.

don't over think it, just let it happen
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    Fidel is right above. "Just let it happen."
    Last summer I had some ribs on, just to try out some sauces on frequent guests. They were not low and slow and I pushed them, as the real meal was beer can chicken. I had to go and fetch one of the guests, but he had a serious issue and we had to wait for 3 hours outside of a bar drinking beer in the sun (hard life).
    We got back home about 3 hours late, so I assumed I would just have to chuck them out (temp was not low). In fact they were black. I left them on a plate outside and went in to set up the chickens. My daughter ran in and said how good they were! In fact they were charred, but inside perfect. We did not bother with the sauces and scoffed the lot. The egg is very forgiving! Luckily for cooks like me with friends like mine. Andy
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Use the search feature in the upper left type in 'low and slow'.
  • EGGARY
    Options
    The Ribs have been on for 1 1/2 hours. I read a post about spraying with Apple Cider, Apple juice, and Brown Sugar.

Do I need to do this ? What is the purpose of doing this.

Thanks.

Gary
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Gary: It helps with the appearance some, in that you get a better shine. Doesn't do anything for flavor IMO. (Maybe it's just an excuse to keep seeing how the ribs look!) :whistle: :laugh:
  • EGGARY
    Options
    The Dome Temperature went up to 280. So I shut down both vents to get Temp down.

Is that right or is there a better way of doing it or it's no big deal.

Thanks to everyone for walking me through all this.

I promise pictures.

Thanks.

Gary
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Gary,

Just adjust the openings down a bit. It won't come down quick. Are your ribs close?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EGGARY
    Options
    I put them on 2 1/2 hours ago. They shouldn't be ready yet. No?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    don't shut them completely. that's like slamming on the brakes and you'll only undershoot. just tease it shut by a third or so and wait 20 minutes to see what happens.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    No, They should be a ways away yet. Alwys make small adjustments or you will chase your tail. 280 won't kill them anyway. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EGGARY
    Options
    [img size=150][/img]
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Don't shut it completely you'll kill the flame, like others have said slightly close the bottom and let it adjust, I would also say that any temp below 300 isn't gonna kill ya and make it a significantly quicker cook. Maybe cuts a hour to hour and a half off time from my experience. Good luck ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Looking good, meat pulling away from the ends of the ribs nicely. You might be done sooner rather then later. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • EGGARY
    Options
    I hope this works.

IMG_0355.jpg
  • EGGARY
    Options
    Ribs been on 4 hours. When can they be sauced ?

Thanks again.

Gary
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Cook to temp and feel not to time. Depends on what test for the ribs you decide to use, I normally pick the ribs with the tongs coming in from on end of the ribs so the length of the tongs support the bottom of the rack. Pick the rack up, with the the clamps of the tongs about half way up the rack, if the rack bends to about a 70-80 degree angle (competition style) or falls apart (fall apart style ;) , you are ready to sauce. There are plenty of other methods that you can look up on the forums. :)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Lookin' good Gary!! How did they turn out?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I hardly sauce but, if your cook is done then go ahead and sauce then check in 10 to 20 min. When ever the sauce sets into the meat.
  • TullyMN
    TullyMN Posts: 10
    Options
    Was finally able to try some baby back ribs on my large egg after owning it or 3 weeks. Mike, never met you but thank younfour your great recipe and RIP. They turned out great, on my first attempt.

It snowed a little in Mpls today, but can't complain given the recent events in the South. Hope all of the forum members and their friends/families are safe!

http://gallery.me.com/bjcavanaugh/100036/Baby%20Backs%20on%20BGE