Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs with JSlot 'sJack sauce , Cat's slaw, and Alton's southern biscuits

egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday was a southern BBQ at my house in the frigid snowy northeast, but what a feast. The snow was soon forgotten when my brother showed up with a case of Brador, straight from Canada, that's some good beer.[p]I bought 9 racks of babybacks cooked them the 3-1-1 method using both my large and small egg, and naturaly they were rubbed with Dizzy Dust.[p]Used JSlot's recipe for BBQ sauce, "Jim's Jack Sauce"
It is an outstanding recipe, I recommend it, thanks JSlot![p]Made Cat's "Yankee Coleslaw" - it didn't need extra sugar for the Yankees in my house, another wonderful treat, thanks Cat![p]Alton Brown's "Southern Biscuits" These were amazing, although due to the amount of ribs, I had to crank up the oven, I had no more room for these in the eggs.[p]We added some corn on the cob to the menu also.[p]For dessert, Coconut Flan with a little chilled Malibu drizzled over the top. My wife won't even show me how to make this, but so what, she can make flan with the best of them.[p]It's been a few weeks since I've fired up the big guy, but well worth the wait. All the family went home stuffed thanks to the egg and it's forum members contributions!![p][p]

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    egghead2004,
    havent tried cats coleslaw, but it looks right to me.never liked that sweet overpowering coleslaw. as for that brador,havent dared to try it again, my one and only time drinking it was in college. camping on the nh /canada border, playing hacky sack on the road, a young moose walked on over and was just standing a few feet away all curious to what we were doing.just a little moose of 7-800 pounds. my roommate at the time bet he could ride it, i got the camera. it seemed like he was airborn for a good minute. he naturally won the gold spike award for the dumbest thing done that year.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Glad you enjoyed the sauce, EH![p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• egghead2004
    fishlessman,
    Cat's slaw is delicious, however one question that kept poping up while people looked at it, why is it purple? I used 1 small purple cabbage and a medium green cabbage, maybe a 60/40 mix. I think the vinegar may have washed some of the purple color out of the cabbage and turned everything else purple.
    I brought all the leftovers to work yesterday, about 4 racks of ribs, JSlot's sauce, and 4 quarts of slaw, all afternoon I kept getting emails from workmates around the building thanking me for the food. They wanted to know who catered my party...what party? What caterer? I cook for my family and my inlaws like this a couple times a month. I've been invited over to some cookouts this summer already, go figure.

• egghead2004
    JSlot,
    hey dude, thanks for sharing. It was a big hit here at work too when I brought the leftovers in. One guy asked me if he could take the rest home, why not? I'll make more another day.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    egghead2004,
    purple coleslaw is a family tradition here, its the tomato soup cake thats hard to push on non family members. with the slaw, we dont put the dressing on until about an hour before serving. we like the cabbage fresh and crunchy, more like a salad than a wet slaw

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it