Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuck Plateau Temp

Options
Nu-Guy
Nu-Guy Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning to all,
I put a nice brisket (we'll see about that) on yesterday afternoon at around 3:00 or 3:30 pm. Cooking indirect using a pizza stone with the meat on a rack over a drip pan (no water). Dome temp has been between 220 and 250. Went to bed last night around 11:20 pm dome temp 240 and internal temp read between 163 and 165 degrees. Got up this morning to let the pooch outdoors. Dome temp is a solid 250 and internal temp on the polder is still hovering around 163 to 164.8. Is Mr. Chunk O Chest being difficult here or is he just taking his sweet time?
Thanks,
NG

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to mention that this guy was about 7.5 pounds when he went on the Mr. Egg.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    NG,[p]He must be stubborn - it will hold then climb again as the fats breakdown. You're doing fine.[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    NG,
    Tim is right. Just a stubborn chunk-o-chest! This is the time to pull out a chair, and put on some tunes. Once you get up in the 170s you might want to kick it up to 250-270 for the finish....unless you have time, then just let 'er roll.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nu-Guy
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the imput guys. No rush here, so I'll just let Mr. Chunk have his way and sit by and think 'bout how good it will taste when the cook is over. Think I'll get some breakfast going to help past the time. Eggs, bacon and some pancakes should do the trick.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nu-Guy,
    Didja test your polder in boiling water first?? Just checkin.
    When you hit 185-190, try your fork test. Sometimes they are done in that temp range.[p]Eggs, bacon and pancakes should hold ya fer a spell. [p]I just remembered I have to bring a main dish for teacher appreciation day at my kids' school tomorrow. Guess I will go buy me a couple of butts to cook overnight. One for us, one for da teachas! Dang. Need more lump too. [p]Can't get enough.[p]Have fun
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    two butts for teachers appreciation day? Dang! Back in my day cookies and brownies did the trick. Shooooooot, after tomorrow they will add another day to their calander>>>Nature Boy Day...after stuffing them with all that PP! Heeeeee!
    ST

• Unknown
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    Watch me find out most of them don't eat pork!!
    I'll wish I went with the brownies....but I would have plenty of leftovers! Heeee!

• Nu-Guy
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    The polder just hit 190 so I opened the lid for the first time in 18 hours. Whew. Did the folk test...passed that so I pulled Mr. Chest off and wrapped him in foil then towels and into the ice chest (yes, without ice). After that, I thought I'd look over the egg after that long run and noticed that the 6 chucks of hickory I placed on the fire at the start were not completely burned up. Matter of fact, there was quite a bit left of each chunk. Is that normal? Did the cook at 220 to 250 the whole time.