Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need new gasket

bsantos_5
bsantos_5 Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My gaskets are kind of burnt up and I need to change them. What gaskets are the best? Are the Nomex still the way to go? I do quite a bit more high heat cooking than low and slow.

Comments

• I just called the mother ship and inquired about a Nomex, they took my info and I had it in the mail a couple days later. Still need to install..
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    I went with the nomex because it's the best of both worlds. Some guys tried that coppergasket gunk and a woven stove gasket. I hear it works well' but that's just not my style.

If y you're asking for my opinion - go with the nomex.

Ted
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have two large eggs. A year ago both my eggs needed a gasket. I put the nomex on one and the other I used with out a gasket. Like I said a year later both eggs are doing just fine. Don't get me wrong I plan on putting a gasket on the egg that hasn't had a gasket in over a year but, I have cooked a lot of food on both eggs without any trouble. If you don't have any trouble controlling your temps or snuffing you egg out you could consider going el natural. ;)

By the way my nomex gasket is still holding up after a year.
  • I installed a nomex gasket from High-Cue about three weeks ago. It's a self-adhering gasket. (No Super 77 spray required.) Plus I didn't have to take the dome off of my egg to do it. That was important in making my decision. I've done lots of cooks of all kinds since then. Several high-temp pizzas, a couple of 600 degree steak searings, lots of burgers, chicken and chops, etc. The thing is working like a champ. No issues whatsoever. I highly recommend it. There are YouTube videos for reference.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Did you do bottom only ot top and bottom? :huh:
  • I did both top and bottom. I was worried about the back side area near the hinge being a little too tight to reach. Wondered if I would be able to get my hands in there and properly install the gasket. But it was no sweat at all. WAY easier than I anticipated.This photo is from when I first installed it. Three weeks later and it's still looks almost brand new. IMG_2935.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    Thank you Maestro sir. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    I was wondering if you tried a dollar bill test and or reset your dome to the base. :ermm: :huh: Tim
  • CrimsonEgg
    CrimsonEgg Posts: 21
    Had to make a minor adjustment to the top band. Just loosened it, re-aligned it slightly, and tightened everything back up nice and snug. But I never had to take anything completely off. The dollar bill test worked exactly as it was supposed to: a little friction all the way around.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I have tried them all. I would recomend Nomex. Period!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • 2Fategghead
    Good for you! :)

You see I have done the same with virtualy no gasket and it too works great. ;)